First attempt with car photography at night

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Washed the car yesterday and wanted to take a few pics of it but by the time I was ready the sun had gone so decided to have a bash at night photography.

No flash, just bracketed exposures run through photomatix, only processed this one so far:-

MustangAtDusk_01.jpg

C+C always welcome. :)

Has a nice feel to this. As a viewer though, I would love a lower viewpoint to show off the aggressive nature of the car. The highlights are also a bit distracting - did you have some filters on? Well done for keeping the HDR looking realistic.

It's a good shot, with the right lighting this could be a winner.

Thanks for the comments so far, I had taken some lower shots but they didn't come out too well. Although I enjoyed taking these so want to get out and try the same sort of thing again. Anyway here's the rest of the shots I was happy with:-

MustangAtDusk_02.jpg

MustangAtDusk_03.jpg

MustangAtDusk_04.jpg

MustangAtDusk_05.jpg

MustangAtDusk_06.jpg

MustangAtDusk_07.jpg

Think you've done some good work here.

First one is really nice, perhaps I'd have to agree with Gribbsy - definitely on the sparklies, try photoshopping them out, shouldn't be too hard...

You've had a good play here, so study the problems and come back for a reshoot - this kind of work is probably evolution to get it right, not a one click job. The location is pretty good, just watch out for stray things sticking up behind the car (lamp posts) and compose carefully.

But I do like what you are attempting here, I'd like to do something similar myself!

Keep going, you'll get there I am sure.

I think sometimes you need a bit of steering on the opposite lock - I'd rather see a bit of alloy than a black block of tyre. I think the view point either needs to be a bit lower, or significantly higher.

I like the skid marks on the ground.

I would clone out a few lamp posts.

Finally - nice car :) Is the fuel consumption as awful as my 4.3 litre Merc V8?

I agree with the above comments.Like no.4 the best.Would be a cracking photo if you cloned out the lampposts

Thanks for all the comments and agree the lamp posts need to go.

Can't wait to get out and have another bash at this, really enjoying this kind of motoring photography at the mo.

Finally - nice car :) Is the fuel consumption as awful as my 4.3 litre Merc V8?
It's actually not that bad, especially on a long run. Car is cheaper to run than my previous beemer, cheap insurance, cheap tax and simple servicing.

Last edited:
For me #1 makes the motor look like a mean hombre :naughty:

Class car....good pics too (seeing as this IS a togging forum :thinking:....)

#3 is the standout for me and im not sure the desaturated ones work so well at night. Thank monkeys youve got a decent car to do this with - now wheres the smoking tyre shots?

B->

BTW - with a little bit of modding you can turn this into the new Knight Rider :LOL:

Fantastic car, always loved Mustangs :D

1st one would look better without the flare I think?

Just love the sky in #3

#4 is an awesome shot and by far my favourite, really good (y)

I actually really like the processing in #5 and 7 as well, works well!

Good job on this shoot :D

My, that's a bit of a beast.......

Not bad for a first attempt either.

Steve

4, 5 and 7. 4 is definitly my Fav shot. they look brilliant, not gone too overboard with them and they pull it off really well.

Aside from that, what a beautiful car that is.

Good shots mate.

For me, number 3 takes it, without a doubt. Great composure, great shot, great background, spot on.

I'm just wondering whether the lights being off would improve the shot, or not. Hmmmm.

Lovely car m8 i hope one day to be able to afford a mustang or a Shelby

#3 has to be it, the car looks great but combined with the sky and the marks on the car park makes it a winner for me. As above, the car looks mean as (y)

Rate the angle and positioning of the car in #4 but agree with the earlier comment about cloning out the background lamposts.

Some great shots here mind - and tis a fine a car!

No 7 for me !!

Really like the PP, makes it feel like a 60's American picture but with the modern car :D

Back