First attempt with my 105mm Macro :D

Name
Neil Thompson
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

Got my sigma 105 macro in the post yesterday :) got out round the garden today to try it out.

What sort of set up is best to use? All these were hand held as i couldnt get the tripod anywhere near, very very easy to throw off the focus. I think the last one in this set would have been my best if i had nailed the focus. He landed on chrome mirror case of the motorbike, luckily i had the camera close by lol, grabed the shot but he flew off instantly :(

Are those cheap macro ring flashes off ebay much use? Ive only got the on-board flash to play with and i cant really stop down too much while keeping a decent shutter or i lose too much light :(

Any tips and c&c greatly appreciated :D

Cheers Neil

_MG_9578.jpg

_MG_9583.jpg

_MG_9589.jpg

_MG_9571.jpg

_MG_9597.jpg

_MG_9598.jpg

Last edited:
Great shoots mate Today is my first day too if you seen my post :)

What settings you been using and what camera

Good stuff rookies! Spider shot is great!

Ive been using a 40d in manual mode with on-board flash, settings somewhere between 1/125-250 and f9-16 where possible to maximise the DOF.
EXIF's should be attached to each pic if you can view them?

cheers Neil

That's it....after seeing these I need a macro lens (y)

TP is costing me a bleedin' fortune :LOL:

:LOL: :LOL: And it TP that made me into Macro too.... Now it costing me even more and I think I may like a Ring Flash Or I prob get a Speedlite Flash first..

End of the day we learn alot on here and get into photography even more :woot:

:nono: :LOL: :LOL:

But I got my macro lens at a great price as I brough 2nd Hand.... Hope to get a flash at a great price too.... Cant afford to buy brand new thou

Good start, I like #4 best the leafs veins spreading out like a star ;)

Great first shots, Neil - especially like first and last. (y) I find a monopod sometimes helps where a tripod won't go but, like you, often resort to hand-holding.

Why you might have to sell your lens? Keep if you love it

Great set of shots for an initial try out :) It'll be nice to see more!!

Can't help you with the ring flashes though :(

Back