First attempt with ND filter and need a few pointers...

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I am extremely new to this, and purchased a variable ND Filter (really just to dip the toe before taking the full plunge on a set of filters.

Long story short, I took several piccies in the same location, and had awful vignetting on the first couple. This was the best of the lot.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/118403121@N02/12699231755/player/aab45c00c3

Sorry for link - screwed up the insertion of the snap

The shot was taken in Dawlish, which has been somewhat shut down by the recent railway excitement.

I would value comment on composition improvement as well.

Thanks in advance from a learner!

JJ

Not a bad first attempt, the shot needs rotating counter clockwise to straighten the horizon. Post processing can usually resolve most vignetting. I think you should convert the image to black and white as there is little colour there anyway. You have got the sea nice and milky looking though so a good start. Try shooting the shot at various focal lengths, 24,35 ect a lot of lenses are not at there best at there extremes.

My advice is to try a shot like this when the sun isn't going to be such a drawback to where the eye goes. This will allow you to use a slower shutter speed.

Wait for a cloud to cover it, shoot later in the day etc but it is far too strong as it is now. It also makes your exposure a bit short to show any cloud movement. Depending on the speed of the clouds, ideally you want 30s minimum.

Firstly, Sbowler - many thanks for solving my image posting issue. Most appreciated.

Thanks to both of you for input - I have been itching to get out there with the new toy and I will admit the condition were not ideal (should have negotiated longer with my good lady to allow me a longer permit next time!)

Good spot on the horizon - now you mention it, I cannot miss it! I did try to 'develop' in PSin black and white, and I felt that the lack of the red from the steel marker post somehow reduced the shot.

Ref the focal length - noted! It was wound back to the extreme widest at 24 (lens is 24-105 kit lens on a Canon 6d). I will try that!

Also - Phil - noted ref the light and agreed. I will try a dusk raid to see if I can get above he magic 30 sec.

Fabulous forum, and I am grateful to you both for taking time with a beginner such as myself!

JJ

Last edited:
Thats a good first attempt, a lot better than my first attempt.
I have tried variable filters myself and im not a fan of them as there is to much vignetting on longer exposures.
I purchased a 10 stop B&W filter and started to experiment with it, it took a while at first to get decent shots as they were to light or to dark but im slowly getting used to it.
Keep at it and you will get better and its also great fun trying to get that amazing shot that we are all after.

Thanks Archies -

Having seen some of the vignetting on its first outing, I tend to agree that the variable filter was only really good for an intro as opposed to the final solution.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Out of curiosity, what are the thoughts to the volume of sky to below? Ideally I would have reduced the area of sky, but the appeal of the Red post was too much to ignore.

JJ

As you needed to get the red post in there isn`t really much you can do about the amount of sky that is in the shot, unless you took up a different position or maybe took the shot from more of a distance.

There are more preferable angles possible I think, but tide time need to be different.

I have to admit that playing with these techniques has really ignited this for me again as a hobby, particularly with guys like you offering assistance! A very good forum!

JJ

Back