First attempt with Water Drops - Crops Added

jgs001

Brian Cox
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Bit of an experiment. Sprayed a CD with a water sprayer (thankfully a brand new dirt cheapy CD, as the water sprayer had vinegar in it :thinking::thinking:)... Used the Raynox on the 55-250 again

1)
IMG_1198.jpg

2)
IMG_1201.jpg

Thanks for looking C&C please.

Last edited:
Agree with psenior. I had a go at this once, and couldn't believe how difficult it was the get the drops sharp. Is there some trick to it?

Thanks for the comments. I gotcha, back to the drawing board... There must be some trick Simon, but I don't know what it is. I guess getting directly overhead, no angles to minimise the effects of the short DOF :shrug:

I had a go at this a while back, on a cobweb, really tough to get right. This was the best I managed

web-1.jpg

Thanks Ben and Dave. I will defo revisit the drawing board. Gonna have to get me a macro rail...

Thanks for the pointer Dave, half the price of the single rail Manfrotto 454 too...

on looking again Im not sure thats the actual place he got it, coz thats from china and Im sure he said he got it from HK, but its the same as his,

Just a little too unsharp John :( - its a hard one to get right but fun trying :)

The bottom middle drop on the first one looks good though :D

Thanks for the comments John. At least I got one drop pretty good :D I don't think it'll survive the crop though

its better than anything i have managed so a thumbs up for me!

still like the weird effect of the water drops in the first one. They look like mini planets

Thanks (y) Dom, there's something odd going on there, a couple of them appear to be floating :)

hi John
good but no cigar. Not sharp enough mate :(
on my 450 i use the live view x10 on a macro rail mirror lock up and remote cable plus 2 sec timer to get the focus sharper. still doesn't work though :D

Make sure you're not moving around on the floor that the tripod is on too. Although I just use the viewfinder rather than faff about with liveview and sometimes use a 2nd press of the remote release to fire the shutter rather than the 2 second timer depending on what I'm doing.

For high magnification work there's a chance that pressing buttons to operate liveview or change settings will mess up the focus.....once you've got focus don't touch anything.

Yeah exactly... Do a crop on the one in the centre down its sharp and it looks like a little floating planet :D

thanks very much for the pointers and advice. Didn't think about half of those things...

I'll have a play later Dom.

:).

A couple of quick crops...

IMG_11981.jpg

IMG_12011.jpg

The abstract nature of these two crops works for me John! Particularly the first one! :)

Cheers John. I wish I knew quite how I got that entire effect.... Then I could do more of it...

yeah i like those a lot. their really abstract

Cheers Dom (y)

Back