First Attempt

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all this is my first attempt at portrait photography What do you think about this pic is it to sharp or to dark is the lighting wrong any help would be much apprieciated.

DSCF21761.JPG

Thanks for your comments And thanks for looking

I hope my first attempts turn out like this :D

Maybe soften the highlights on the cheeks, bottom lip and forehead?

On board flash? The light is a bit harsh. I also hate those borders :D

Nice pic.(y) Agree with the highlights being too much tho and the border makes her look like her head is in a shoe box.

Excellent foundations for some really nice portrait work - I do agree with the comments about the diffusing of the flash & removing the borders but I do think that you are showing a great deal of promise if this is only your 1st attempt (y)
Looking forward to more (y)

(Edit: Tilting your models head upwards/shooting from different angles will help to soften any neck lines caused from tilting the head too)

Sorry Scooby but there's some pretty rough skin smoothing there with obvious missed bits.

The pose doesn't look bad at all, but there's definitely room for improvement in the processing.

Thanks for all your comments now you come to mention the light being to harsh i can see where your all coming from wasnt that obvious to me to start with, now how would i go about diffusing the flash on my Fuji Finepix s9600 is it basically covering it up with something suitable for only half the flash to penetrate.

and now i move on to processing with photoshop cs3 is there away i can reduce the brightness of the highlights without having to start all over again and also removing the border.

Again thks for your comments

All the best
Rob

Hi Rob,

Even something like tissue paper will diffuse the flash. Try running the burn tool over the highlights, done correctly this can work well, although im no PS whizz!

Good shot by the way!

Kris

As far as Im aware the only way to remove the border & highlights is with the clone tool, which for the border will probably be quite a laborious job.

I dont think its too dark and tbh, though as it is now, the one thing that stands out more than anything else is you irregular work on the skin.
The area down the centre of the forehead/nose/cheeks really stands out as obvious 'puddles' of unsoftenend skin (sorry).

Tbh, I think theres a nice picture in there and well worth the trouble of going back to the original and spending a little longer on it, she has such lovely eyes and smile, worth doing her justice.
Jmo of course. :)

Here is a quick attempt at what i thought would make it look a little better.

EDIT.jpg

• Changed the border (would have looked a little better if i had the origonal and didn't have to crop out the previous border)
  • Got rid of those over exposures with a simple bit of smudging.
  • Also fiddled around with the channel mixer to give it a warmer look.

Hope you i didnt go too overboard :LOL:

Back