Beginner First Attempt

Name
Sohail
Edit My Images
Yes
Just back from my night classes (college). Took this as part of the lesson.

Would like some feedback, comments, etc.

SOL_0333B.jpg

Last edited:
First thing is obviously its not level. Looks to be in focus though.
Colours also look a little flat to me - what did you do to process the image?

Last edited:
Pretty much sooc, I thought I had levelled it, and cropped it slightly.

Not very good at pp yet, will try again tomorrow.

Last edited:
Pretty much sooc, I thought I had levelled it, and cropped it slightly.

Not very good at pp yet, will try again tomorrow.

It looks like you have tried to level it against the jetty, but it's the horizon you want to be levelling it against, or if you can't see much of the horizon try levelling it against a vertical like on of the upright posts

I am sure I used one of the yellow vertical posts to straighten it up, will try again tonight. As a newbie to photoshop will the auto tone/colour be enough to lift the picture?

Hopefully you have enough space on the original to straighten it, being so far out you will lose a lot of the image.
To my eye it looks a couple of stops under exposed.
You might be able to bring a bit more out in processing, but its likely to bring out a lot more noise too unfortunately.

Just a little bit more on lining up, as mentioned, the horizon is always a good thing to level up on. If you are shooting indoors (which I often do), I tend to use verticals but even then, verticals can conflict if you are shooting at an angle (again I normally am). I therefore tend to choose one vertical as the ultimate reference. I hope that this helps.

If this was part of a lesson you obviously could not choose the time of shooting but earlier in the evening when there is some light in the sky is best for this kind of thing.

To get the camera level at the time of taking use a spirit level if you intend to shoot landscape or architecture though if you are using a Nikon D750 I would expect it has a built in level

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A3SPO...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1ABZFD5V4STYBM4CNSAK

It is hard to tell with the shot but the crop you made has left a black edge on the left and top right of the shot.

If this was part of a lesson you obviously could not choose the time of shooting but earlier in the evening when there is some light in the sky is best for this kind of thing.

To get the camera level at the time of taking use a spirit level if you intend to shoot landscape or architecture though if you are using a Nikon D750 I would expect it has a built in level

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A3SPO...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=1ABZFD5V4STYBM4CNSAK

It is hard to tell with the shot but the crop you made has left a black edge on the left and top right of the shot.

The teacher did mention that it was a bit dark, but was nice to test my photograpghic knowledge so to speak. Regarding the level I think it does in live view so will look into that and also the link.

Ha ha, just noticed the edges, definately need to go back to it tonight. I tried to upload via Flickr, but it keeps showing as a broken link (again something for tonight).

Just a quick thank you to all for your comments and advise so far.

To load from Flickr you copy the BB code and past that into the post.

To load from Flickr you copy the BB code and past that into the post.

That's what I have been trying and it shows a red cross on the image?

With levelling the image, I tend to look for things in the middle of the image that's supposed to be vertical. So those blue pole things should be perfectly vertical, and once that's done, your horizon will be spot on.

Just attempted this using the blue posts and got the same amount as in the first picture.

Seeing as you have image editing ticked as a yes - quick edit with straightening on the middle pole for vertical. Did a quick tone and curves adjustment. Not much to work with as its such a small file size.

One thing I picked up years ago, horizontals are not necessarily horizontal depending on the angle you look at them but verticals should always be vertical (unless they are converging).

Last edited:
Seeing as you have image editing ticked as a yes - quick edit with straightening on the middle pole for vertical. Did a quick tone and curves adjustment. Not much to work with as its such a small file size.

One thing I picked up years ago, horizontals are not necessarily horizontal depending on the angle you look at them but verticals should always be vertical (unless they are converging).

Thanks Julian,

Can I ask where/what did you use for the straightline? Maybe I should cheat and take this in next week for the feedback:whistle:

I straightened it in Photoshop CS6 using the grid lines to line up with the blue posts. This obviously caused the original picture to skew a bit so had to crop off the black parts.

Time for a bit of Google!

Back