First attempts at football

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
No
It's a *lot* harder than either code or rugby!

Anyway, on Sunday I took my camera down to Neath Athletic's first home match of the season. These are the results, and any comments and criticisms are welcome!

Details:
Nikon D40x; Nikon AF-S 4.5-5.6 70-300; ISO 400 or 800; aperture priority.

2840401184_48d8d47bc9.jpg

2839557905_5bc408a1e2.jpg

2840396072_bc53b8a4e7.jpg

2839556353_a93a2bf6c7.jpg

The full set (14 images) is here.

So, you've gone over to the dark side! :nuts:

I haven't seriously photographed football OR rugby but I would imagine football to be harder in that they could move in any direction. These look nice and sharp to me, but not sure what the guy is doing in the last one! (Not do I think I want to know :eek:)

I once again must envy you who can shoot football with f4 or higher.. as I said in another thread. That can only be dreamed of in Finland....

As for the images, I am not sure if it is just me. But they look a little stationary.. I just don't get the sense of 'action' from these shots. Now - I might be the only one feeling this..
Most of the shots are from the side, so the action is not 'coming at you'. That's maybe what I meant by that.

But image like the second one in the Flickr gallery.. I likes that one, it had the 'most' action and worked the best for me.
Still, very good for a first attempt on football, so def. a good start, and I am sure after few times it'll get easier to take the photos..

Thanks for your comments.

"Dark side ..." -- Unfortunately for me it's union or soccer in the winter as there's no BARLA for a hundred or so miles.

"Most of the shots are from the side, so the action is not 'coming at you'."

This is true. I checked with the stewards at the ground and I could only take photos from the area open to the public - which was the main stand along the side of the ground -- the ends were closed. So I was a way back from the pitch and not able to move to a better position.

Hopefully next time (I don't live near Neath so it'll be somewhere else) I'll be able to move to a better spot for snapping.

They look alright to me, nicely frozen.

If you're in Chesham area on saturday get yourself down to Chalfont St Peter FC for the match of the day!

I think they are good shots! You are using the same kit as me and I only have a bit of advice on improving.

1) Try and get down a bit lower. Sitting on a small stall or seat would mean that your shots are much lower so have a better sense of action.

2) Locate yourself behind one of the goals so you get the action coming towards you rather than from the left to right (or right to left) or your images! :D

For a first time thats brilliant results. Well done and keep it up :D

If you're in Chesham area on saturday get yourself down to Chalfont St Peter FC for the match of the day!

Hopefully will be there.

Looks like you are a natural Ginger I have been shooting amateur football for about 4 years now and I would be well chuffed with any of those shots

Thanks! :)

Good start.. But shoot low.. as low as you can. the same (very good) images you ahve now would be even betetr if shot from a low angle.. more dramatic.

sharp good colour, interested you found that harder than rugby, I'll by trying that later this winter.

sharp good colour, interested you found that harder than rugby, I'll by trying that later this winter.

I found with rugby that it was easier to track where the ball was going to be - in league because you can track the passing across the field or spot where the break might go and in union because the set piece/build up is more followable - but in soccer the ball can ping anywhere and if you're focusing on one spot you suddenly have no clue where the thing's gone!

Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'm hoping to go to a game this Saturday and hopefully I'll be allowed at an end this time rather than kept to the only open side!

first and second are the picks for me. nice and sharp, and capture some action. verging on the 2nd being the better of the two.
maybe trying to get a bit lower. so your same body level with the players or more adventurous and get lower. but can be hard as you said with restricted positions.

ah. now i understand thanks for explaining hope to try a bit of footie this season

Back