first attempts at macro

whitewash

Fishy Fingers
Edit My Images
Yes
I posted these in the film shots section and thought i might get some crit in here as well.

I've never done macro before and hats off to you lot, its hard work! I think i need some sort of moving rack on my tripod to move the camera fore and aft!

Both shots taken with a Minolta X-300, 50mm and extension tubes on jessops crappest quality 400iso film, both shots at f22 and shots were taken outdoors with no flash or anything.

any advice would be good, i struggled to work with depth of field and the lack of a DOF preview on the camera really made this guess work, i think ive ended up with more DOF than i wished, but atleast something came out!

'taste the rainbow'
skittles1web.jpg

Got any pegs dave?
pegsweb.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Got some nice results. Think you might be right about the F stop in the second, but the first the DOF fades away nicely.

If you're going to use a tripod then some sort of rack will help to focus and shoot in natural light.

Other thing could be to rig up some sort of external flash.

I'd also think about using a lower ASA film to cut the grain down when you get more used to it. But if you're still experimenting then continuing with the Jessops crap might be the way to go at first.

thanks Chris, i only used the only colour film that i had lying around - and even this one was 2 months out of date! I've no flash for this camera!

Might have to get some extension tubes for my Canon gear, atleast then i can get ones that will retain the autofocus! i really struggled with focusing even with the fresnel screen on the minolta, my eye sight is rubbish!

Id envisaged that the DOF on the skittles would blur the reds and yellows and be sharp for the oranges and greens, but it appears i have more DOF than that!!!! ill have to reshoot, obviously with a fresh set of skittles, I ate the scene afterwards!

Last edited:
Back