First attempts at motorsport- constructive criticism welcome

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Haven't been getting out much with camera recently and decided that some new genre's might be challenging. Went along to Knockhill last Sunday and shot these. Quite pleased for a first attempt but intrested in what would be done to improve them- some of the images feel a bit 'static' to me

Knockhill-3015.jpg by Jim Tod, on Flickr

Knockhill-2470.jpg by Jim Tod, on Flickr

Knockhill-2352.jpg by Jim Tod, on Flickr

Knockhill-2246.jpg by Jim Tod, on Flickr

Bingo! by Jim Tod, on Flickr

I quite liked the outing, glorious sunshine helped, but wouldn't see it being an every weekend pursuit

Composition is very good.

For speed, just try lowering the shutter speed a few clicks at a time. Expect a lot of blurred shots, but worth it for the good ones. Get below 1/100 and you enter the world of the enthusiastic amateur!

For a first attempt they are excellent and you have every right to be very pleased :beer:

As for feeling static start lowering your shutter speed like Tim says above. I'm not really used to bikes myself but I think a good place to be is around 1/320 to 1/400th, but am happy to stand corrected.

Good stuff on the whole, I'd be wary of following slow shutter advice for bikes though... Because of the rider and bike movement it's not like shooting cars, 1/250 on a constant radius turn is just about reliable but go lower and your hit rate will drop substantially... Watch your backgrounds and try and leave a little more space around the subject #1 for instance is much too tight... I do like the last one, but I think it'd be even better with a portrait letter box crop without a vignette ... 2s the winner but all could use a light touch with highlight and shadow recovery... Sorry to go on so good stuff but some Ideas for improvement :)

I'd set Auto ISO on he camera to 1/800th as a min shutter speed so will try bringing it down a bit next time- I'm sure that it will be dull and overcast which will help

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd set Auto ISO on he camera to 1/800th as a min shutter speed so will try bringing it down a bit next time- I'm sure that it will be dull and overcast which will help

Thanks for the feedback.

I tend to set my camera in manual mode otherwise it can give different exposures into corner,in corner & out of corner :)

Back