First attempts with an ETRS

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

After seeing and being motivated by the film shots thread i didn't want to lower the standards by posting my first efforts there. So.. here they are. It is a steep learning curve!

All taken on Delta pro 400.

I think the dark edge on the left hand side is due to poor developing on my part?

I

I have learnt that the neg's are easily scratched, the development process is more than a hit or miss affair, that loading 120mm film the wrong way round is too easy and that film and developing is a lot of fun.

Nice shots Andy. Good to see you back.

Ujjwal

P.S : Whats the wrong way round for the 120 mm film ( I mean, which way are you talking about here, just curious)

After seeing and being motivated by the film shots thread i didn't want to lower the standards by posting my first efforts there. So.. here they are. It is a steep learning curve!

snip...

I have learnt that the neg's are easily scratched, the development process is more than a hit or miss affair, that loading 120mm film the wrong way round is too easy and that film and developing is a lot of fun.

First of all, congratulations :clap::clap:, I'm sure most people on here would have been delighted with getting output like those from a first attempt! I know i'd have been boucing off the walls like a fat hairy spacehopper!:LOL:

Neg's are awful fragile - especially when they're first out of the tank. :bonk:I made a stuff of my first two films being impatient and not allowing them to dry thoroughly. I now make it a rule to leave the films hanging and drying overnight before they get a sniff of the scanner. I find that not only does the neg firm up a little, the emulsion seems to "cure" and get a little more scuff resistant.

The Important thing I found with home developing was to make the process as routine and regimented as I could until it became second nature. I pretty much followed the hallowed Ilford .pdf on processing your first BnW film to the letter, and got a decent result first time. After half a dozen films, it really did become a process in my head, as opposed to a series of strange instructions and incantations:LOL:

As for your last two points, all I can say is "yes" and "hell yes"(y)

Sadly negatives are very fragile before they're dry, but as BigYin says, hang them overnight in a warm environment (bathroom in my case) and they'll be fine in the morning.

And film processing is definitely a lot of fun. I've been doing it for a number of years and I still get the same pleasure when I open up the tank and unwind the film from the spiral and see good old images there.

Well done on your first attempt. Can't remember how mine turned out the very first time, but I know I wasn't very chuffed, that's for sure.

Back