First attempts

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been out in the garden playing with my new toy, a Canon 500D close up filter.

I've found it incredibly difficult to get the focus right but I'm enjoying myself.

This chap is one of my better attempts, is it me, or does he have a big dent in his eye. Is that usual? I've never looked at a fly so closely

IMG_0240.JPG

I wish my 1st shot was that good, or even my 2nd attempt.

Could that dent not be due to light? its hard to tell on this image IMO

Good first effort - I find the focusing really difficult too but keep at it and I'm sure you will see an improvement. I actually think they do get damaged eyes and that is what the dent is.

Hash sunlight is the cause of the eye effect, use diffused flash to counteract it, good start.

Oh, I think flash is a bit advanced for me at the moment.

I picked up a tip on focussing from this forum which was to set it up and then move the camera in and out for fine adjustment. Without that I would have been totally lost.

I tried yesterday but the wind was blowing all the plants around too much and there wasn't much interest on the walls. I got a ladybird grub (don't know the term for a baby ladybird) but got more of the wall in focus than the grub.

Today I'd read the book on the camera and set it at f16 to get more depth of focus which helped enormously.

I think the fact that I'm using such a high quality lens (70-200 f4L)and a high quality close up filter must help with the results, If I can learn to stand without wobbling so much I might get a bit further.

Thanks for all the support and info. I think I'm going to enjoy Macro.

Well it sound like you learned loads today so I wouldn't say flash is too advanced for you at all ;)

Back