First Baby Shots (Suggested Edits Added)

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
These are my first ever attempts at baby/parent portraits, or for that matter at portraits at all as opposed to snap shots. Pretty much shot as they happened rather than being posed (I did ask them to move into light a little, hold still, or hold her hand out of the way, but not much more than that). The Mum is VERY shy of the camera, so I get very very few chances to photograph her.

This is my new Niece Rubie, with her Mum, Dad, older Brother (who refuses point blank to admit how proud he is until you get him on his own!!), and my daughter. I have an emotional attachment to these obviously, but would love to hear how they stand up as images without that please. The first 3 have been printed for the family and they love them, but then they would wouldn't they!!! I know they're not perfect.

20120427-180714-Edit-2.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

20120427-200633.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

20120427-202031.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

20120428-153625.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

This last one is technically overexposed I know, but I think it works well that way:

20120427-180245.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Last edited:
They all work for me Mark, and all pull heart strings, No 4 is my favourite.

The only one that doesn't work so well for me is 3, your mum looks frightened stiff.

There maybe the odd technical fault, but that doesn't matter, they are so strong in emotion that it overcomes any minor deficiency.

If they were mine, I'd be dead proud.

Thanks very much Les. Given a choice between "well caught emotion, but not technically perfect" and "technically spot on but no emotion", I'd always pick the first so it's nice to hear I've managed that, but it'd be nice to get both!

I can see some of the technical issues, but what are you seeing?

By the way, the mum WAS frightened stiff. And very tired. And in pain! It was after all less than 24 hours after the birth, so I'm quite pleased with the photo none the less :)

Last edited:
Apart from mum's slightly scared expression, tey are a lovely set. Great emotion.

Love the one of your daughter with the newborn. Feels that the camera isn't there.

Is the low key background via PS?

I think these are really good. As mentioned not keen on number3 tho. My fave is 4 and 5. Would love to see them in b + w.

Thanks. I really wish I could get a nicer one of the mum. She's a lovely looking woman with a wonderful smile, but she just doesn't give it for the camera :(

I'll try those two in B&W and post them here if they work.

Apart from mum's slightly scared expression, tey are a lovely set. Great emotion.

Thank you :)

Love the one of your daughter with the newborn. Feels that the camera isn't there.

Is the low key background via PS?

Thanks. I like that one, but thought that might be because it's my daughter in it!

The low key background was almost there from the camera, but I did darken it a bit in Lightroom as it had some distracting pattern showing through from the sofa.

Forgive the bump, but I'd love to know what people think of the edits :)

Forgive the bump, but I'd love to know what people think of the edits :)

Sorry for the late reply..had to check photos on the my main machine as I couldn't see the difference on my mobile device.

Cannot decide which one is better..staright from the camera looks slightly more natural and yet the background is a bit distracting, like you said. I think you did the right thing.

Certainly prefer the colour over the black and white though!

Hey no problem Ben :)

Thanks for that. I agree re the B&W.

Back