First bee of the year. Gutted!

Edit My Images
Yes
I was wandering around the garden, camera in hand after work today. Had the 100mm macro and a 36mm extension tube on because I'd been unsucessfully trying to photograph ants. Anyway, I walked past a bush and heard a buzzing. Focussed on this big fella and took the snap. Had a look at the preview and felt quite pleased with myself - I've never managed to take a really nice bumble bee shot.

However, upon loading it into Rawshooter I discovered that stupid head had accidentally knocked the aperture down to F4.5 and managed to focus perfectly on the bee's abdomen instead of its head :( This is literally a full frame shot too. The detail is stunning - you can see all the tiny grains of pollen stuck to his legs. His head just isn't in focus :( Wish they'd stay still longer so you could make sure your aperture was set correctly.

Damn it, damn me and damn the blasted bee!!

090506d.jpg

Might as well stick these in the same thread since I also took them today. Not everything was a failure :)

090506b.jpg

090506c.jpg

090506e.jpg

Shame :)

What sort of magnification do you get with spacers on a macro lens - how much of the frame width is an ant?

edit: just realised bee is full frame so its bee divided by ant :)

eww @ spiders

nice shots though Kate, damned shame about the first as that would have been stunning!

Great shots - You must have a steady hand as camera shake seems to show on macro

You mean you saw a bee, and didn't run like a big girl, knocking over small children en route to escape?

No? Just me then :D

Cracking shot, damn shame about the focus shifting like that. I've fallen prey to being pleased with an LCD check before now, thinking I've nailed it.

Now I try and live by a mantra Arkady wrote on here (not sure if it's his or not)...."If it's worth one shot, it's worth 3 more".

Bees are tough- they're just never still! I wouldn't feel too bad about it Kate, as it stands you've captured all that fabulous detail in the body, which would have been well out of focus if you'd got the head sharp, which is why they're best caught head on if possible, so the oof body is behind, less distracting, and more natural looking. You've got all summer to get the killer shot. ;)

Marcel said:
You mean you saw a bee, and didn't run like a big girl, knocking over small children en route to escape?

No? Just me then :D

Cracking shot, damn shame about the focus shifting like that. I've fallen prey to being pleased with an LCD check before now, thinking I've nailed it.

Now I try and live by a mantra Arkady wrote on here (not sure if it's his or not)...."If it's worth one shot, it's worth 3 more".
Not scared of bees at all. I think they're great. Give me a wasp though, and I'm breaking the sound barrier to get away from the damn thing :eek: Shame, because they're so pretty!

And if I could have done 2 more I would have... the little sod flew off. Hmph!
CT said:
Bees are tough- they're just never still! I wouldn't feel too bad about it Kate, as it stands you've captured all that fabulous detail in the body, which would have been well out of focus if you'd got the head sharp, which is why they're best caught head on if possible, so the oof body is behind, less distracting, and more natural looking. You've got all summer to get the killer shot. ;)
I had all last summer too, and failed hehe. My main aims this year are to get an ant in perfect focus (nearly managed it today) and the perfect bumble bee shot. So close, yet so far :D

Thanks for all the compliments anyway. At least something was sharp, even if it wasn't his noggin.

I took some bee shots today they all ended up in the bin. :bang:

This is one from last year. I like the reflection of the flower in the eye. Can't say I've really got a bee shot I'm happy with though. :(

bee_01.jpg

Back