First Camera for a 6 year old

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
It's my son's 6th birthday soon and I am thinking of getting him a digital camera. He recently had a disposable film camera and had lots of fun with it but paying to develop 36 shots of my legs was a bit silly.

It must be easy to use and have a flash and not cost too much. I reckon as long as it's more than a couple of megapixels it'll be fine.
I have some old Sony memory sticks , so a Sony one would be nice but I guess memory sticks are cheap now so I would consider any make.

Any ideas?

the cost of Point/shoot budget digitals is so low now that you can get something as robert suggests, im considering it myself for my daughter!

Another vote for Kodak. Bought one for my daughter when she was six - very easy to use. I wouldnt bother with a zoom version though at that age.

Look out for deals including docking base and maybe small photo printer as well.

i tried to keep my little sister on film for as long as possible, that way she didnt get into the habit of just rattling off pictures and not looking at what she was taking

sadly my mum went and bought a digital and she appears to have forgotten everything!

Dont knock digital too much, remember it can be used to accelerate the learning curve if used properly because you havent got the restriction of time to process or the cost of film limiting you, she can see what shes taken and experiment everyday, just so long as she learns the fundamentals of composition and exposure.

Warspite said:
Dont knock digital too much, remember it can be used to accelerate the learning curve if used properly because you havent got the restriction of time to process or the cost of film limiting you, she can see what shes taken and experiment everyday, just so long as she learns the fundamentals of composition and exposure.

thats the problem she doesnt, she just hits the trigger, doesnt think about what it looks like and ends up with 200wasted pictures, now these have cost nothing, but when she has a restriction such as film she actually thinks about what shes doing:bang:

We got our six-year-old a medion from Woolworths. Twas about £40 and had 32Mb built-in, plus i let him use my spare SD cards. Does up to 5MP (interpolated) but I set it to 2MP. He's managed o find his way round most of the buttons and shoot and chimp, but I do the downloading myself.

neos said:
We got our six-year-old a medion from Woolworths. Twas about £40 and had 32Mb built-in, plus i let him use my spare SD cards. Does up to 5MP (interpolated) but I set it to 2MP. He's managed o find his way round most of the buttons and shoot and chimp, but I do the downloading myself.
That sounds like a good idea to me. I wouldn't spend much more than that because if a digital camera is dropped or knocked, it can go wrong or not work at all, so then you have the hassel of sending it back for repair.

Handy thread this. I'm looking to get my 5 year old a new digi camera after the old fuji a202 I had given him got nicked on holiday along with the wifes Powershot A430 thankfully the 350d was in the safe :D. He was most upset as he had had a great time at the zoo snapping away. Will check out the medion and the kodak for him. Wifey is quite happy with the powershot a610 I got her as a replacement. Just waiting for insurance to cough up.

Back