Beginner First Camera

Name
Antony
Edit My Images
Yes
HI all I'm new to the forum and wasn't quite sure where this should be posted. I've brought my first camera, a Canon 350D labelled as a Canon Rebel XT, now considering I only paid 35..00 for the camera where is the best place to look for lenses that aren't 3 times the cost of the camera and also as I mainly want to take landscape shoots (I live 400 yards from the Solway Firth and am less than 90 minutes by bus from the lake district) what should I be looking at getting.

I've currently brought and am waiting on arriving various camera adapters so i can try m42 lenses etc, some nd filters and a tripod, but considering I've never done this what woulkd you say is a must have for your camera bag.

wellcome to TP. For a good all round lens I would suggest one somewhere in the range of 18 - 70 mm ish give or take a few MM either end of that range either end .I would also suggest spare batteries and memory cards before anything else. But that is just my opinion

wellcome to TP. For a good all round lens I would suggest one somewhere in the range of 18 - 70 mm ish give or take a few MM either end of that range either end .I would also suggest spare batteries and memory cards before anything else. But that is just my opinion

Thanks for the welcome and I guess great minds think alike :p As i've also brought 2 spare batteries and a 4GB cf card and 2x4GB Micro sd cards with a cf card adapter I'm not sure if the adapter and sd cards will work in a camera but figured it had to be worth a try.

Buying memory cards do look at the MB/s as well as the GB, A low number MB/s (Megabytes per second) can and will slow down transfer rate from camera to memory card,and are cheaper

This could cause the camera to "stall" in continuous shooting mode until the card catches up.

Last edited:
The 350D only uses Compact Flash cards, not SD or Micro SD's. The18-55 kit lens that used to come with it are not too shabby and had some good shots with mine, Should probably be able to pick one up cheaply on eBay. Despite being a very old model it is still a competent camera, I still have mine and use it from time to time. I currently use the Canon 15-85 EFS on my 7D, not sure how much you want to spend but that is a cracking good lens.

The 350D only uses Compact Flash cards, not SD or Micro SD's. The18-55 kit lens that used to come with it are not too shabby and had some good shots with mine, Should probably be able to pick one up cheaply on eBay. Despite being a very old model it is still a competent camera, I still have mine and use it from time to time. I currently use the Canon 15-85 EFS on my 7D, not sure how much you want to spend but that is a cracking good lens.

yeah, basically the adaptor is a cf card that the micro sd slot into so the camera should hopefully see them as a cf card.

Hi Antony
welcome to TP have you looked at MPB web site
https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/
I got a few lens from them for my 350D last year

I have an old 6.3 Mega pixel Canon 10d which I use my old m42 film camera lenses on with an adapter, you can then get lenses for peanuts as there are so many about (as you already seemed to have worked out). The only problem is you will have to set the camera to manual and manually set focus, aperture and exposure yourself (not that difficult) , I find this a little more rewarding as I have put the extra effort in myself. Its worth a thought as you could get a selection of lenses at less than a tenner each. I have a 28mm a 35mm ,50mm and a 135mm lens. Bare in mind if you do go the M42 route the lenses will not have the same field of view as they would on a film camera. a 35mm m42 film camera lens will see roughly the same field of view on your Canon as a 50mm lens would on a film camera if that makes sense. Just times the m42 lenses size by 1.5.

Last edited:
Back