First camera's accessories...HELP!

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys,

Sorry for asking so many newbie questions! I have noone else to ask, and am too cautious not too ask :) Well I have got my Nikon d40, but has found out that apart from bags, sim cards..etc etc there are also lens hood, protectors, filters and so on! What would you recommend me to get and what not? I have minimal SLR experience by the way :D Thank you and happy new year :)

As long as you have the camera (and its manual), lens, memory card and a bag all thats essential is enthusiasm!

I have only just started and have got a tripod which to me will be pretty essential but if you are going to be taking pics on 10 mile walks it would not be as easy to cart around with you!

I found that the things I needed became more obvious when I got out with the camera.

Enjoy it :)

Well I think aside from the camera, lens, memory card and batteries you really need to think about what you are going to be shooting. This should then help you to buy the relevant accesories.

The most important accessorie you need right now is loads of enthusiasm to get out there and take some photos(y) Then when you've worked out what you enjoy shooting, landscapes, motorsport, portraits etc you can start to refine your kit and add lens's that will enable you to progress further;)

Second on the decent tripod, don't get a cheapy one as the weight of your camera will flex the head.

Lens cloths, rocket blower and some fingerless gloves at the moment lol

obviously it depends where and what you plan to shoot. Though some essentials would be a high-power flashgun, shutter remote, tripod (of course!), UV filter, extra lens caps, lens hood (good for outdoor), and maybe even some camera armor.

the things you want, won't always be the things you need ;)

A decent tripod and head will stop your new camera falling over and becoming a pile of expensive bits

a decent flash will help when your images at some point, but not at the moment...get to know the camera first

with regards to filters, a good circ-pol filter, that'll help no end with reflections and bring some contrast back during these manky winter days.

Buy a uv filter to protect your lens, Lenses cost hundreds and you'd be a bit narked off if you scratched/damaged the glass for the sake of the cost of a filter!!

Wolf.
Some warm clothing, shooting (fingerless) gloves and a hip flask.
A good triopod is certainly worth considering but get out and try things. With digi it does'nt matter if its bad because you can shoot again and learn from your mistakes. As you get more confident it will help with the kit you may want to buy.

Buy a uv filter to protect your lens, Lenses cost hundreds and you'd be a bit narked off if you scratched/damaged the glass for the sake of the cost of a filter!!

But is it not protected by the lens cap? Is filter for protecting lens whilst shooting?

Second on the decent tripod, don't get a cheapy one as the weight of your camera will flex the head.

Lens cloths, rocket blower and some fingerless gloves at the moment lol

Fingerless gloves (bought for £2) have been a godsend!

Hi again Wolf

Yeah, the filter (UV) is really just used to protect then end element of the lens. Also I find them useful because if you get dust or rain or whatever on the filter you can just clean this, rather than having to touch the end of the lens itself.

It is not like this is essential though, you can manage without one.

Good advice here so far. There is a tendency during winter to go on-line or dive into magazines and start wondering about new kit. Come spring time we will all be out there enjoying the season's offerings. Although winter does bring us some pretty unique photo opportunities (if you have the right gear like gloves, hat and porridge!)

Don't worry about kit anymore, go have some fun!

Back