First charge on 450D battery...

Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought my 450D.

How long should I charge the battery for? Until it goes green or for 24-hours or what?

Why keep charging a battery when the light has turned green? ;)

read the manual. itll tell you in there

it is because some batteries have memories and if not charged properly will show full when they arent betty;)

be careful overcharging batteries as well

I really don't want to open the sealed manual just to find out about the battery. Someone must know... Is it enough when it turns green or do I need to leave it for longer?

Then download a copy of the manual from the canon website and look in that.

But I have to know why you don't want to use the manual for the very purpose it exists to perform?:thinking:

It just says from a completely empty battery it'll take 2-hours for it to go green. It doesn't mention a first charge. I presume green will be enough...?

Oh and how do I enable my signature? I've already made it but it won't display. :crying:

Oh and how do I enable my signature? I've already made it but it won't display. :crying:

The forum computers wont crack open a new sig just for a little post like that one. ;)

It works just fine, it only appears in the first post you make in a thread and even then, only over a certain number of words IIRC. :)

If you don`t read the manual, how are you going to get the best from your camera. Surely using your logic it`s a shame to open the sealed camera box and packaging just to take a few pics. :bonk:

Sorry but I just laughed my tea all over the place.... why not open the manual????

Isn't there a PDF version of it on the supplied CDs, fairly sure i got one with my 40D.

Also if its a Li-ion which im fairly sure it is then when the light goes green its full its not like the Nimih which you had to charge for an entire day or it just wont play ball.

OK, had a look in my 450d manual and it doesn't say anything about the first time you charge the battery, just fire it in till the light goes green and then you are sorted.

However it says you should remove it when the camera is not to be used for a while (it quotes 1 week)

Are you guys thick? We have two 450Ds in the house and I just bought mine today. I didn't want to open the fresh manual as I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping it and by saying everything is still sealed as new it'll go for more. I had to dig out my mums manual and I still haven't found the answer. It doesn't mention a first charge, only that it'll take 2 hours from a flat battery. Lots of people have a 450D or a camera that uses a very similar battery, so seeing as it's a forum, I decided to post and ask hoping I'd get a quick answer. If someone asked a question that I knew I'd just answer him to help him out. Why the drama? If you can't help and/or think what I'm doing is silly then just move to the next thread. Why waste your life by replying and repeating exactly what has already been said by someone else?

OK, had a look in my 450d manual and it doesn't say anything about the first time you charge the battery, just fire it in till the light goes green and then you are sorted.

However it says you should remove it when the camera is not to be used for a while (it quotes 1 week)
Cheers for your help. (y)

Are you guys thick? We have two 450Ds in the house and I just bought mine today. I didn't want to open the fresh manual as I'm not sure how long I'll be keeping it and by saying everything is still sealed as new it'll go for more. I had to dig out my mums manual and I still haven't found the answer. It doesn't mention a first charge, only that it'll take 2 hours from a flat battery. Lots of people have a 450D or a camera that uses a very similar battery, so seeing as it's a forum, I decided to post and ask hoping I'd get a quick answer. If someone asked a question that I knew I'd just answer him to help him out. Why the drama? If you can't help and/or think what I'm doing is silly then just move to the next thread. Why waste your life by replying and repeating exactly what has already been said by someone else?

Not the best start to the forums. Ill be avoiding you from now on methinks :LOL:

That's a little ironic considering you can't even charge a battery :thumbsdown:
Not a single person on this thread could give a definite answer to my original question. In the end I simply gave it an extra hour after the light turned green.

Not a single person on this thread could give a definite answer to my original question. In the end I simply gave it an extra hour after the light turned green.

Thus rendering the entire thread useless, and your insults un-necessary.

Just charge it till the charger shows a green light.

You need to leave it at least overnight.
If just charged till the light comes on it is not a full charge.
Strange i know!

surely lithium ion batterys are not like ni-cd (or whatever they are) they dont need an initial long charge. Thats what i was lead to beleive anyway.

i have never had battery problems on either my 400D or 50D when charging just to green.

surely lithium ion batterys are not like ni-cd (or whatever they are) they dont need an initial long charge. Thats what i was lead to beleive anyway.

i have never had battery problems on either my 400D or 50D when charging just to green.

Likewise, just charging to green should be fine.

Lithiom Ion batteries do not have a 'memory effect' and do not need 'cycling' when first used.

Don't insult people, you won't get far with an attitude like that.

cause your either too lazy to look for yourself when you've admitted you've got 2 manual's in the house! or to stupid to ask the question in the first place..:nono:
Oh right. The manual was in the loft with her box. I didn't want to open my manual as explained above. In the end I looked for myself and still didn't find the answer so I'm quite glad I posted this thread in the first place. If you had actually read through the replies you'd know that still no-one has given a definite answer. Why exactly am I stupid?

For being a total newbie and coming in here blasting well respected and established members :shake:
Betty, you know full well what this thread contains yet you choose to keep on returning. If you don't like me or what I write, why bother reading and replying?

You asked why you were stupid, I responded :)

Right, must get back to work, stop ****ing people off and be mates :D

I suggest you don't charge it at all. It will be worth more when you come to sell it (y)
:LOL::clap::woot:
Took the words right out of my mouth.

When it comes to a manual not opened, do people really care if a manual has been opened, i would be more concerned with the hardware condition. A lot of electrical items do not even have a sealed manual, i would have thought that a large percentage of potential second hand buyer would not know the difference or care.

The thread has made me laugh though (y)

Oh right. The manual was in the loft with her box. I didn't want to open my manual as explained above. In the end I looked for myself and still didn't find the answer so I'm quite glad I posted this thread in the first place. If you had actually read through the replies you'd know that still no-one has given a definite answer. Why exactly am I stupid?

Well i gave a fairly definite answer from the manual and you did say thanks so fair enough, i'd not continue the discussion/arguement as you have the solution.

If you had actually read through the replies you'd know that still no-one has given a definite answer.

When you plug the battery into the charger the light is initially red, once it's fully charged the light turn green.
The same applies to a lot of electronic devices, PSP's, Philips shavers etc.

There is the answer you seek so can we please move on.

I am curious to know that as your mother bought a 450D before you, has hers never had the battery charged and used?

Back