First Dance Focus Issue

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys,

This might be in the wrong section so mods, please do move if necessary.

I've been doing weddings for some time now, but last week was the first time I have encountered this issue.

When the bride and groom came on to do their first dance, the venue switched off all the lights (which I have had before and is usually fine as I can use the DJ/Band's lights to focus), however on this occasion even the DJ's lights were not enough for me to focus. I ended up having to get my assistant to use his phone light to light them to enable me to focus, but this is not ideal as I believe it to look very unprofessional. I just wondered if anyone else has ever encountered this and what they did to overcome it?

I thought about keeping a little infra-red torch in my pocket in future, but wasn't sure if this would help the focus or not?

Use a led video light I have one for this purpose but have never needed it.

Focus assist beam on your flash?

I'm using three YN600's off camera, with the YN transmitter on camera, so no ability to mount a video light and no focus assist with the flash (to my knowledge). I was thinking about using a video light just on another stand, or get my assistant to hold it, but do you find that guests get annoyed with that?

I'm using three YN600's off camera, with the YN transmitter on camera, so no ability to mount a video light and no focus assist with the flash (to my knowledge). I was thinking about using a video light just on another stand, or get my assistant to hold it, but do you find that guests get annoyed with that?
I thought the YN transmitter had a focus assist light? Doesn't work with CAF, switch to one shot, job done ;)

......but do you find that guests get annoyed with that?

Sure they won't get annoyed at being able to see the happy couple a bit more clearly.....plus you'll be helping them get their obligatory mobile photos and video. Win win :D

In all seriousness though, the couple are paying you to get the shot, do what you have to do (within reason).

Lately I've been shooting first dance wide open (50/1.4, 24/1.4) with manual focus lenses, so there's always that option - however I appreciate, AF lenses are not often as suitable to MF with.

Last edited:
Back