First day out EVER for sake of photography

Edit My Images
No
Hello every one...

I took my daughter out today to Paradise Wildlife Park in Hertfordshire. It was also my first time ever to go out equipped with my newly acquired gear for my new hobby, so please go easy on me...

I only used my 45-200mm lens on a G2 Panasonic body. Its a m4/3 system, so not a true D-SLR system, but very portable...

Please, give me your opinions on composition and general sharpness of the pics...

advice and critique is most welcome...

1-
P1020830.jpg

2-
P1030165.jpg

3-
P1030148.jpg

4-
P1030136.jpg

THIS WAS SHOT THROUGH A CAGE, SO YOU WILL SEE SOME INTERFERENCE...

5-
P1020933.jpg

6-
P1020910.jpg

:)

Thanks for looking...

Last edited:
The yawning lion is awesome and the colour and detail on the lat 3 parrot shots is brilliant.

I think one some of the first set look soft or taken through glass?

Great first set. Well done

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

For a 1st timer out with a camera - I think that you have done extremely well - some good captures of the lion... Esp the one of his head & him laying down on his paws....

Morning.

Generally, the less pictures you best, the better the feedback will be. Also it will help to number them to people can say pic #4 is ....

First zebra shot, you've cut off the bottom of the head - I don;t think that works, the background is a little distracting (cage + other zebra - always think about backgrounds).

Some of the lion shots look a little soft to me, and in a few you cut off the paw \ ears etc - you can cut bits off if you think it aids the photos - in these instances I don't believe it does. Also, whilst there is not much you could do about, the half in the shade, half in the sun on lions face does not work for me.

Hope you enjoyed the day, some nice images in there. Get our more, practise makes perfect as they say!

Al

...... Also, whilst there is not much you could do about, the half in the shade, half in the sun on lions face does not work for me.

Hope you enjoyed the day, some nice images in there. Get our more, practise makes perfect as they say!

I think it adds to the shot - but its each to our own, some may like it & some may not....

I think it adds to the shot - but its each to our own, some may like it & some may not....

Indeed, I always try and say works for ME, as it's all subjective. Ultimately if the OP likes it, that's the main thing, and if others do, well the more the merrier! :)

Indeed, I always try and say works for ME, as it's all subjective. Ultimately if the OP likes it, that's the main thing, and if others do, well the more the merrier! :)

Totally agree - I wasn't in any way having a dig at your post...

Perfection . . . ? no, however I think as a 'first time' they are good, you have 'an eye', I like the lion resting in particular . . . I would be happy to have taken it.

'Soft focus' has been mentioned . . . I use a Pani 45-200 on a G1, have found that it can be a bit soft at the longer end sometimes from 150mm on, however a touch of PP usually helps enough for me:) Dont use the soft ware they supply with the camera :nono: makes things worse! unless its been improved with the G2?

As a simple soul, with few aspirations, I like them (y) CJS

Last edited:
Some great images in this set. Looks like you've had a good day out. It just goes to show, you don't need the worlds best camera to capture shots like this.

btw, love the edit. It makes the colours really pop!

Not bad at all, although for me they are generally a bit too close up. I would prefer a bit more space around the heads.

thank you...EVERY ONE...for taking time to comment and post...

they r my first try...and your comments made my day!!!

I'm off to the park...(yesterday I was allowed to do a lot of shooting, so today I'm off to the play ground with my little one....SWMBO orders!! :) )

when I get back, I'll reply to each post individually...

I'd love to know the PP details that were done on the parrot...

Thanks again...

The yawning lion is awesome and the colour and detail on the lat 3 parrot shots is brilliant.

I think one some of the first set look soft or taken through glass?

Great first set. Well done

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

Thanks...

None through glass unfortunately...

They do look soft, I agree, but what can I do?

Ive been told the 45-200mm is very soft above 150mm?

I used the highest shutter speed I could use, given the light conditions and tried to keep ISO at 200 max.

I suppose the main culprit waould be:

1- No monopod/tripod at 200mm
2- Didn't use the lens hood, and it was sunny.

:thinking:

For a 1st timer out with a camera - I think that you have done extremely well - some good captures of the lion... Esp the one of his head & him laying down on his paws....

glad u like it...thnx...

that was taken from a very awkward position, though the cage. He noticed me, ad actually gave me a look, as to why I'm disturbing his nap....:D

Morning.

Generally, the less pictures you best, the better the feedback will be. Also it will help to number them to people can say pic #4 is ....

First zebra shot, you've cut off the bottom of the head - I don;t think that works, the background is a little distracting (cage + other zebra - always think about backgrounds).

Some of the lion shots look a little soft to me, and in a few you cut off the paw \ ears etc - you can cut bits off if you think it aids the photos - in these instances I don't believe it does. Also, whilst there is not much you could do about, the half in the shade, half in the sun on lions face does not work for me.

Al

yeah...probably did too much cropping here and there...

as for the softness....any suggestions?

I did all the right things, I suppose, from what I've read here and there...but at 200mm, I feel I am struggling to get sharp results from my G2+45-200mm.

The examples i see here on the forums are FANTASTICALLY SHARP, even from beginners like myself.

I started learning to use M mode, and stop using the AUTO iA mode.

I went for the highest possible SS, keeping ISO at 200 max (my G2 wouldn't handle high ISO well), OIS on, aperture at about f/5.

Could it be because they were hand held? with no lens hood?

Guess not, I must be doing some thing wrong....or its my system's limitation...?

Perfection . . . ? no, however I think as a 'first time' they are good, you have 'an eye', I like the lion resting in particular . . . I would be happy to have taken it.

'Soft focus' has been mentioned . . . I use a Pani 45-200 on a G1, have found that it can be a bit soft at the longer end sometimes from 150mm on, however a touch of PP usually helps enough for me:) Dont use the soft ware they supply with the camera :nono: makes things worse! unless its been improved with the G2?

As a simple soul, with few aspirations, I like them (y) CJS

Thanks for your comments...

Do u mean SILKY PIX software...? The CD is still in its sleeve, sealed.

I only use iPhoto, however I have CS5 and Aperture 3.

Wish I had the time and inclination to learn and use Ap3!!

This is a quick edit to show what I mean.

Using the source pics would give better results:

Parrot6.jpg

OMG!!!

Did I take that picture!!!???

Please, what did you EXACTLY do with the original??!!

You seem to have removed that REDDISH-PINK hue that comes with ALL the RAW images coming out of my G2...

FANTASTIC!!

You've just made me rethink about the power of PP!!

WOW...

I think your composition for the most part is very good. You have a good "eye". I agree with the others RE some shots being soft and dull, but a lot of that could be down to PP knowledge (or lack of it ;) I'm a beginner too and I know just how frustrating it can be sometimes not knowing what to do to process it, and how daunting it is to start trying to learn some of these packages!!)

That waffle aside ... I like your shots very much. Stick with it and practice makes perfect - for both shooting and PPing!

Some great images in this set. Looks like you've had a good day out. It just goes to show, you don't need the worlds best camera to capture shots like this.

btw, love the edit. It makes the colours really pop!

Exactly...

The parrot now looks amazing...

I'm eagerly awaiting his response on what he did?

I think you've done a good job :) they all look sharp and detailed to me. I especially like the light on the first parrot, and yawning lion. Maybe try giving the lion shots a boost of contrast? Peter's edit works well on the parrot.

John

Thanks..!!

Ahh...so that's it...Contrast...

With my very limited PP, I mainly played with the SHADOWS, HIGHLIGHTS, EXPOSURE, and rarely SHARPNESS.

Never touched the CONTRAST slider....

I think your composition for the most part is very good. You have a good "eye". I agree with the others RE some shots being soft and dull, but a lot of that could be down to PP knowledge (or lack of it ;) I'm a beginner too and I know just how frustrating it can be sometimes not knowing what to do to process it, and how daunting it is to start trying to learn some of these packages!!)

That waffle aside ... I like your shots very much. Stick with it and practice makes perfect - for both shooting and PPing!

Thanks for your encouraging comments....

I've actually just started reading Aperture 3's manual. I hope I'll grow to like it...

Its funny that there are many online tutorials and sites dedicated to Lightroom-Photoshop but NONE I could find dedicated to Aperture 3?

For me - #10 was THE shot of the set. Liked the resting Lion composition, but 10 stole the show.

Thanks for your comments...

Do u mean SILKY PIX software...? The CD is still in its sleeve, sealed.

I only use iPhoto, however I have CS5 and Aperture 3.

Wish I had the time and inclination to learn and use Ap3!!

Silky Pix, let it stay sealed . . . ;) I agree with Petersmarts assessment, but you have 'the eye', the tweaking will come :)

Make a copy of your images, and fiddle with these copies in the PS type programs, I did this, tried every slider there was, watched what happened, be bold!! over do it, then 'slide' back, you will get to now, 'it only takes a little', need a lot, the picture ain't any good any way :LOL: the penny drops very quickly;)

By the way, I will be laughed out of court, however, I use Elements 7, for a simple soul like me, it dose a sterling job. I find its RAW program works with my Pani G1 just fine. I have other more sophisticated options, but simple is best . . . for me :shrug:

Once again good pictures, . . . a great start(y)

CJS

PS, take a look here, it put me on the road to understanding 'levels and colour curves':
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/0...ital-photos-with-the-levels-and-curves-tools/

Last edited:
OMG!!!

Did I take that picture!!!???

Please, what did you EXACTLY do with the original??!!

You seem to have removed that REDDISH-PINK hue that comes with ALL the RAW images coming out of my G2...

FANTASTIC!!

You've just made me rethink about the power of PP!!

WOW...

Well I didn't do anything very much.

I use Serif Photo Plus X2 which I got for £12.00.

To increase the sharpness I just clicked on the "Sharpen" tab.

Then I clicked on the "Image" tab and then the "Adjust Auto Levels" tab.

And that was all.

Simples!

This is a simple edit of the lion:

Liona.jpg

In this case I used the FREE program Photoscape:

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

Once again using it was simple:

I simply clicked on the Auto Level buttom.

Then set the sharpness tab to 4 and clicked it.

Then clicked on the Bright,Color tab and when it opened set the Deepen slider to 20 and the saturation slider to about 35 and then clicked OK.

Then I saved it to the desktop and used Easy Thumbnails to resize it to 800 pixels and set the quality to about 85.

And that was it.

It actually took longer to write about it than to do it.

EDIT:

Lion_Yawninga.jpg

And that edit was done exactly the same way as the other lion pic.

And both done with a FREE editing program!

Just noticed there is a slight touch of green in the first pic which is probably due to the program over compensating for the magenta hue.

This would be very easy to edit out.

Last edited:
Here you go 'oymd', 2 minutes, before I go to work! . . . of very simple, 'Levels adjust' and then a tad in 'Colour Curve', followed by a little bit of 'Sharpen' . . . I think 'Unsharp Mask' might have been better on reflection? . . . all in Elements 7.

I love this picture (bigger image does it more justice) . . . (y)

LionexampleP10209101.jpg

CJS

Last edited:
A very good start. The resting lion (y).
Welcome to the learning curve ;)

This is a simple edit of the lion:

Liona.jpg

In this case I used the FREE program Photoscape:

http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

Once again using it was simple:

I simply clicked on the Auto Level buttom.

Then set the sharpness tab to 4 and clicked it.

Then clicked on the Bright,Color tab and when it opened set the Deepen slider to 20 and the saturation slider to about 35 and then clicked OK.

Then I saved it to the desktop and used Easy Thumbnails to resize it to 800 pixels and set the quality to about 85.

And that was it.

It actually took longer to write about it than to do it.

EDIT:

Lion_Yawninga.jpg

And that edit was done exactly the same way as the other lion pic.

And both done with a FREE editing program!

Just noticed there is a slight touch of green in the first pic which is probably due to the program over compensating for the magenta hue.

This would be very easy to edit out.

Thanks for the feed back..

I'm at work now...and will go over your advice once I get home...

GOD!!

I feel like a kid hiding from his parents...

I shouldn't be checking this thread at work!!

:D

Here you go 'oymd', 2 minutes, before I go to work! . . . of very simple, 'Levels adjust' and then a tad in 'Colour Curve', followed by a little bit of 'Sharpen' . . . I think 'Unsharp Mask' might have been better on reflection? . . . all in Elements 7.

I love this picture (bigger image does it more justice) . . . (y)

LionexampleP10209101.jpg

CJS

Thanks...

Do you mean its over cropped?

I have the original, I can upload it when I get home?

I had to crop it like that as the bars of the cage were interfering...

Silky Pix, let it stay sealed . . . ;) I agree with Petersmarts assessment, but you have 'the eye', the tweaking will come :)

Thanks..you have no idea how happy that makes me feel...
That's very encouraging...I was terrified that I will be hopeless, just splashing out a lot of money on a hobby I'll never be good at...
I know I'm far from being good, but at least i've got some encouraging comments for my start...
Thanks again..

Make a copy of your images, and fiddle with these copies in the PS type programs, I did this, tried every slider there was, watched what happened, be bold!! over do it, then 'slide' back, you will get to now, 'it only takes a little', need a lot, the picture ain't any good any way :LOL: the penny drops very quickly;)

I've strted playing with Ap 3...

Once again good pictures, . . . a great start(y)

Thanks..

Last edited:
Not bad, but watch for distracting shadows on future outings.

Oh....and these animals are not entirely 'Wild & Free' are they?!

Back