First dlsr pictures

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey I took my dslr (a canon 600d with kit lens) out for the first time at the weekend I'm a complete beginner I'd like feed back on a few photos I took at wollaton deer park in nottingham all feedback welcome thanks

Last edited:
you are getting there
the last one ...402 shows most promise
are you using low iso, full quality size shots, and if you can and probably find you need to...take your shots raw and process them
cheers
geof

Yeah made the mistake of not using raw at first completely forgot but you can't learn without mistakes thanks for the feedback! Most appreciated.

Great start! You might want to consider straightening your photos so that the horizon is horizontal. They are a bit squew wiff at the moment but easily rectified in an editor like Photoshop.:)

Yeah made the mistake of not using raw at first completely forgot but you can't learn without mistakes thanks for the feedback! Most appreciated.

sd by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

i liked this shot i had to do a pp on it....and found a bit of over exposure in the sky and its reflection outside my ability to compensate
cheers
geof

Nice start :)

Once you've mastered your auto settings, move onto manual to get better control of your exposure and shutterspeed. The shutterspeed in these seem a little too long, more than likely from the camera exposing for the foreground and slowing it down to bring up the detail, so more of a camera auto-issue rather than your skills at exposing.

The 600d is a great crop sensor camera and the kit lens isn't to be ignored. Put to good use, you'll be producing really good images, requiring less post production and just tweaks. Will be good to see your skills grow as you learn more about your camera - dont rush it, you'll only get frustrated and want to pack the thing away - take your time - enjoy taking the photos, listen to what people have to say, dont take it to heart, if you're posting in critique section, people will be bluntly honest - if you listen to what people say - you will improve <much> quicker than not listening to them, honestly, I've been there, (we've) all been there (and are still going through it). :)

I'd rather people be blunt and honest it's the only way to learn by knowing exactly how good the photo is and/or what's wrong with it i appreciate everyone's comments I'll take them on board and any further comments people add and I won't be rushing things more enjoying the process of taking pictures and getting that one.good shot you've been trying to get can't wait to get better and show my progress as time passes.

Try a bit of post processing on your images, they look a bit flat. Try and bring out the colour, contrast a bit more. Also, as mentioned, straighten them up a bit too. A good start to an addictive yet very healthy hobby (y)

Great start! Iv had my Canon 60d less than 2 months and found best way to improve shots was to skip using auto and get used to av mode or TV mode then when get opportunity to shoot stationary subjects play in manual to try work out correct exposure. I also shoot in raw and Jpeg so I can try compare my edited images to the cameras jpeg, although I still have so much to learn about editing

Also try using grid display to help you compose the shots? I find trying to stick with the rule of thirds helps as well (don't forget to experiment out of the box as well, not all good pictures use it!)

Just getting used to everything on it at the minute,I'll slowly get there just keep on being persistent and enjoy it mainly

Just getting used to everything on it at the minute,I'll slowly get there just keep on being persistent and enjoy it mainly
post processing is the ability to "edit" your photos after youve taken them. eg contrast, saturation. exposure etc. hth mike.

for example this picture has been cropped to suit the subject this is basic editing (pp) = post processing:)

Giraffe2 by Mike Rockey, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yeah just wish I had more time to get out and shoot tbh. Practice makes perfect and all that. But keep it up mate, a much better start then mine was haha

Looks good with abit of tweeks

thats my middle name...tweaks...or cheaty toad
all my shots get that treatment....i cant seem to get a good shot right out of the camera
or
my taste in reproduction is different from what is really there

exactly
we who have also endured: also endure
pp becomes a habit....the holy image is there somewhere amongst all that raw data
:D

exactly
we who have also endured: also endure
pp becomes a habit....the holy image is there somewhere amongst all that raw data
:D

No it's not. Garbage in, garbage out.

Also try using grid display to help you compose the shots? I find trying to stick with the rule of thirds helps as well (don't forget to experiment out of the box as well, not all good pictures use it!)
I still leave mine on, on both camera's, its very very useful and something I now take for granted - nice one for bringing up that tip!

Thanks Carl. Just trying to pass on any helpful tips I've been given/read on here to other new starters. This forum is so beneficial to us beginners!

In the last shot of the tree lined drive, the beauty of a shot like this is symmetry. If you had walked forwards a few yards, you would not have the road coming off to the side in frame and the shot would be symmetrical and more pleasing on the (my) eye.

When you bought your 600D did you get the software CD with it? If so it should have canon's Digital Photo Professional (DPP) programme which will allow you to carry out basic post processing on both RAW and Jpeg (although RAW has more scope). If you have this it is worth opening an image within it and having a play with the settings/ sliders to see their effect. You will find tutorials on Youtube for DPP which will teach you how you can get the best out of your image, such as

I started by using DPP, reading lots of tutorials online and buying Understanding Exposure by Brian Patterson (I think). it's a very well recommended book for beginners and I found it very useful.

Thanks I'll have a look I did get the software with it in need of a new computer mine has decided it wants to go slow on me now

Good start, have a bash at doing all of the hard work yourself and you will reap the rewards! Well done

Back