First DSLR...just a quick question

Edit My Images
Yes
Howdy all :bonk:

I'm about to buy my first DSLR...looking around £400. I guess the major choices are the Nikon D40x and the Canon EOS 400D. In the dpreview samples, I must say I preferred the Canon, even though I've been told they can be a little "artificial" looking. I actually thought they looked more "mellow" and analogue especially on this stamp comparison.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/page17.asp

Then I read that the lens that comes with the Canon is somewhat less than perfect but no complaints (that I've seen) about the Nikon lens (other than the lack of automation from the body).

At a push I can stretch my budget £100 or so if it's for the right deal. I realise the EOS is a little more expensive especially if I need to buy a better lens.

At some point in the future I'll buy a bigger lens...(I'm guessing these give more focus/distance options right?) but to get me started I just need a basic lens and a great camera that will last me several years.

I did some searches but couldn't find this specific question answered but apologies if I've missed something.

Thanks in advance, it's a great forum...all help would be greatfully received. :naughty:

Try to compare raw output from them and what you can squeeze out of it.

As for the lenses you can use, the D40x can autofocus only with AF-S and AF-I Nikkors or most Sigma HSM lenses (not sure if any Tamrons or Tokinas autofocus on it).

Noise reduction in both washes out quite a bit of detail in jpegs from both cams, it's up to you to decide which output do you prefer.

In that price range, there are also Pentax K10D, Sony alpha 100, Olympus E-410 and E-510 and the Samsung GX-10.

Canons seem to have more problems with 3rd party manufacturers of lenses and accessories, as they're said not to sell licenses for other companies to make them, so they have to reverse engineer.

There's been a lot less complaints about that from the other brands in the forums (not only this one), afaik.

There is nothing wrong with the Canon kit lens.
OK it's not as good as a £800 pro canon lens but you would not expect that. I've seen plenty of superb shots using the kit lens so don't be put off by it.

OH welcome to the forum too.

Welcome to the forums .. :wave:

Always go to a camera shop and get the feel for any camera you are interested in ... Even if you intend to buy it elsewhere!

There is nothing wrong with the Canon kit lens.
OK it's not as good as a £800 pro canon lens but you would not expect that. I've seen plenty of superb shots using the kit lens so don't be put off by it.

OH welcome to the forum too.

Thanks whiteflyer. :)

Welcome to the forums .. :wave:

Always go to a camera shop and get the feel for any camera you are interested in ... Even if you intend to buy it elsewhere!
Hi :)

I certainly will. Do you know which (if any) chains are able to be haggled on price?

Pixmania always has good prices...do you think if I walk into Jessops or Currys they'll pricematch?

Try to compare raw output from them and what you can squeeze out of it.

As for the lenses you can use, the D40x can autofocus only with AF-S and AF-I Nikkors or most Sigma HSM lenses (not sure if any Tamrons or Tokinas autofocus on it).

Noise reduction in both washes out quite a bit of detail in jpegs from both cams, it's up to you to decide which output do you prefer.

In that price range, there are also Pentax K10D, Sony alpha 100, Olympus E-410 and E-510 and the Samsung GX-10.

Canons seem to have more problems with 3rd party manufacturers of lenses and accessories, as they're said not to sell licenses for other companies to make them, so they have to reverse engineer.

There's been a lot less complaints about that from the other brands in the forums (not only this one), afaik.
Thanks for the advice.

Is there a big advantage in having 3rd party lenses? I probably won't buy more than 1 or 2. :shrug:

Hi :)

I certainly will. Do you know which (if any) chains are able to be haggled on price?

Pixmania always has good prices...do you think if I walk into Jessops or Currys they'll pricematch?

Not sure which (if any) chains will haggle.

Despite me having a few personnel issues with Kerso I would still recommend him if you are looking for a good deal.

Do a search on the forums for Kerso.

:canon:

Thanks for the advice.

Is there a big advantage in having 3rd party lenses? I probably won't buy more than 1 or 2. :shrug:

That's what your think ;)

Seriously, though, Sigmas are generally cheaper than lenses of the same brand your camera is, they're usually 1/2 to 2/3 of the price with 80 to 95 percent of their image quality.

Some Tamrons and Tokinas aren't too bad, it depends on the model with all brands, though.

Hi 44deluxe

Don't forget the Olympus E-410 and E-510 DSLR's. Most users here are Nikon or Canon owners, and of course these are superb cameras... but the latest Oly's are super too - especially in that price range.

I have the E-400 and the E-510, and have only just ventured into the wonderful world that is Digital Photography - and have to admit - I like the E-510 very much.

You've also done well by finding this place... you will learn loads from folks in here.

Good luck with whatever camera you choose. :)

if you buy a copy of practical photography, or other phhoto mag with a jessops ad in, jessops will price match any ad in there on cameras and lenses :)

Back