First Dunnock attempt.

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
This chap, I think it's a chap, was busy fighting another chap in the gravel and dust but every now and then he would jump up onto this perch, allowing me to get a couple of shots.

1. Bit peeved looking in this one.

270.jpg

273.jpg

Two nice captures, the second one i would choose out of the two, i think the first one needs just a little more headroom, but its only nit picking!

Congratulations on some fine images.

Best regards Paul

Two good captures Gavin but if you wish to improve on them in future, you just need take a couple of things into consideration. These are backlit which is not easy to meter for. No amount of processing will give you good detail as the back of the bird in these shots are blown out. If you can get the subject lit from the front then you will have more control of things ;) I am not sure if these are handheld :shrug: but investing in a tripod or bean bag for support will again give you a far better result. Still two very good attempts though and look forward to seing some more.

Two good captures Gavin but if you wish to improve on them in future, you just need take a couple of things into consideration. These are backlit which is not easy to meter for. No amount of processing will give you good detail as the back of the bird in these shots are blown out. If you can get the subject lit from the front then you will have more control of things ;) I am not sure if these are handheld :shrug: but investing in a tripod or bean bag for support will again give you a far better result. Still two very good attempts though and look forward to seing some more.

Some sound advice there for you Gavin,good efforts but as rich says try to use the light from the front if possible,
regards,
john.

Thanks for the hints and tips Rich ;) I was disappointed with the how much the pics were blown out with the light behind the bird but still happy at getting the dunnock to pose for a couple of seconds.

Aye the above shots were handheld. Still need to get myself a tripod. Any good recommendations?

Some sound advice there for you Gavin,good efforts but as rich says try to use the light from the front if possible,
regards,
john.

Cheers John. All Rich's advice noted and taken onboard.

Thanks for the hints and tips Rich ;) I was disappointed with the how much the pics were blown out with the light behind the bird but still happy at getting the dunnock to pose for a couple of seconds.

Aye the above shots were handheld. Still need to get myself a tripod. Any good recommendations?

You got the shots Gavin and you can see where you whent wrong,which is a good thing. Making mistakes is something we have all done in the past and we still do now and again :LOL: And if you dont believe me, then take a look through some of the pictures in Tom`s duffer thread :D http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=185186&highlight=duffers Advice and crit from people on here is given with good intention, and that is to help their fellow togs out ;) As for tripod suggestions it will depend on your budget. There are so many on the market, I paid about £100 for mine which is by no means the best but it is sturdy enough for my needs. I think if you stay away from the real cheap ones then anything else will serve you well if looked after.

You got the shots Gavin and you can see where you whent wrong,which is a good thing. Making mistakes is something we have all done in the past and we still do now and again :LOL: And if you dont believe me, then take a look through some of the pictures in Tom`s duffer thread :D http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=185186&highlight=duffers Advice and crit from people on here is given with good intention, and that is to help their fellow togs out ;) As for tripod suggestions it will depend on your budget. There are so many on the market, I paid about £100 for mine which is by no means the best but it is sturdy enough for my needs. I think if you stay away from the real cheap ones then anything else will serve you well if looked after.

Thanks again for the reply, Rich. It is a bit daunting posting pics in here, especially when you see the quality of the majority of pics by established and seasoned photographers. But as you say, and with the link you posted, even the greatest fail from time to time.

My first love is bird watching and conservation, followed closely by photography. For a while I was happy enough just getting a decent pic of a bird I wasn't too familiar with but now that I've had my DSLR for a year now and finally figuring out what all it's capable of I'm starting to get the bug for sharper, closer images of our feathered friends.

I had nearly given up posting pics in here but I'm going to stick with it and keep firing away. Plus there are far too many quality pics in here for me to turn my back on the place (y)

Back