first ever pic posted

Name
kevin
Edit My Images
Yes
ok first ever pic posted ...first few shots with the new 35mm 1.8 nikon lens be gental please
just a shot of the lilly pads in the garden pond...im very new to this even though i have been on the forum for a while lillys.jpg

Last edited:
OK, you've posted a picture of lilly pads in the landscape section, which may not be the best place for advice.

You're trying out your new lens and this is one of the first images - what made you take this picture, rather than your street or a bit of countryside? There's some interesting textures and patterns here, but I'm not quite getting what made you ask for this particular image to be critiqued in this section.

thats fine mate tbh didnt no what section to put it in .....just thought the pic looked nice ...was taking some shots around the garden nothing really made me take it ...what section should it go in

Nice start, it's nice and safe in your garden, good place to build some confidence ;)

Now go out and take some more please (y)

You've already discovered that that lens is a little Gem, and there's nothing wrong with taking images in the garden. A suggestion would be to close down your aperture a little as I think shots like this need to be sharp front to back, or get a lily flower sharp and the rest out of focus. Keep practicing and don't be put off by the nay sayers.

thats fine mate tbh didnt no what section to put it in .....just thought the pic looked nice ...was taking some shots around the garden nothing really made me take it ...what section should it go in

There's nothing wrong with a nice pic, but since this is a section for critique and comment I was trying to understand what you wanted from the image before commenting. I'd say the answer to my question was that you saw something you liked and that made you take the picture.

You've shot with a shallowish depth of field - that's usually used to either isolate something or to give an impression of distance by throwing the background out of focus. This has drawn attention to the pad in the middle, but although that one looks just like the others it's as if the picture is saying "look at this leaf".

Hope that's useful.

Helps alot thanks .as I say still very new to this ..but some good points and advice will take them on board and try again cheers man

As I am fairly new to photography myself can I ask the general question as to whether you used a polarising filter as there is a lot of water on the leaves generating a lot of reflection etc. So I am assuming you didn't. I am lead to believe that a PF would cut the reflection down a lot. Is this something that others on here would use/have used?

Back