Critique First Ever Portrait & Retouch

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Never done portraits or been in a studio before, this was my first time and first time retouching properly.

Any critique would be appreciated.

Thanks

I really like the retouching, but the crops are an odd choice and (IMO) ruin them.

I'b be really interested to see a pulled back shot if you have one:)

I have to agree with adam about the crops, so tight doesn't work because of the large lacy thingimabobby on her head. Which is a shame because otherwise I thing they look pretty good.

It's not at all shabby for a first attempt; nice expression, well caught and nicely processed, esp the mono version.

The framing nearly works; if you're going to have her eccentrically low in the frame to show off the headgear then it would have be nice to have a little more space above it.

I'm not sure whether it's due to processing or exposure but the highlights are pretty much blown; could you recover them from the raw file?
What was the lighting? I'm guessing a single smallish softbox way off to one side, judging by the amount of light on the background. I like the drama of the lighting on the face but it doesn't quite go with the even mid-tone on the background for my taste. I'd have tried to control the light a bit more or got the model further away from the backdrop. A reflector on the shadow side or a touch of frontal fill might have given the image a little more polish and subtlety.

Both work for me!! Great portrait.

Hi

Good attempt for the first time, lighting and exposure look well controlled.

As said crop is a tad too tight at the top and for me the B&W is the better of the two.

Also don't retouch for the sake of it, just do the minimum necessary, just because we have all the retouching plug ins and actions doesn't mean we have to use them all :cool: :exit:

Paul

Back