Beginner First ever portrait shoot

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice,

I do a lot of landscape and nature photography but I've never really do studio or portrait shoots.

I've recently had my first booking from a lady wanting a professional headshot for her company website. It's a straight forward shoot, but I'm wanting to do a good job of it.

The set up I have in mind is very basic;

- a pop up white muslin backdrop
- a dining room chair
- my d5100. 18-200 lens, polarising filter and I've just bought a yonguno 565EX flash with diffuser shoe (because I can't afford a sb700)

That's it, I gave no other lighting kit or reflectors etc etc. at the moment I simply can't afford it.

So with that in mind, is it still possible to get a well lot, professional looking headshot? Any recommendations about how I should go about it? It may be worth mentioning the shoot will be at night so I won't be able to use window light.

Any advice is most welcome

For the most even light you should bounce your flash - I'd forget the CPL (unless she wears glasses maybe?) and there's no reason why you shouldn't be abke to get a nice, clean and evenly light shot with what you have.

My best advice is to relax with people, have fun and make them laugh and feel comfortable - if you're relaxed then they will be too and that's what will get you the desired expressions.

If you do anything other than shoot - let her know so she isn't sitting there like a lemon feeling uncomfortable.

Probably best to practice your lighting beforehand on a subject to get the lighting right.

Good luck :)

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the advice! That really helps.

I was thinking of getting some practice shots of the missus before hand.

I have a tripod but I'm not sure if I really need it or not or just save the hassle?

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the advice! That really helps.

I was thinking of getting some practice shots of the missus before hand.

I have a tripod but I'm not sure if I really need it or not or just save the hassle?
A tripod can be really use full if you have a remote shuttee release as you can set up the shot technically and just focus on getting the expressions.

If you don't have one, it's hassle.

For the most even light you should bounce your flash - I'd forget the CPL (unless she wears glasses maybe?) and there's no reason why you shouldn't be abke to get a nice, clean and evenly light shot with what you have.

My best advice is to relax with people, have fun and make them laugh and feel comfortable - if you're relaxed then they will be too and that's what will get you the desired expressions.

If you do anything other than shoot - let her know so she isn't sitting there like a lemon feeling uncomfortable.

Probably best to practice your lighting beforehand on a subject to get the lighting right.

Good luck :)

and take shots all the time...a cable release...or whatever is used nowadays
you can get 1 really good shot out of 100
dont skimp on card capacity
as for lighting..i am at a loss...i prefer daylight...so a light box would be my choice and go for black to white
cheers
geoff

That's it, I gave no other lighting kit or reflectors etc etc. at the moment I simply can't afford it.
Search down the back of the sofa for some spare pennies and invest in a reasonable sized reflector. It'll act as a second light source and help no end getting a good one light professional looking headshot. Only £10 for a 43" one from ebay.

Between now and the shoot get practising with your partner, it'll be an eye opener, either a horrible wake up call or a confidence boost you've got the skill in the bag to do a great job :)

Cheers for the advice lads!

I've bought myself 2 soft boxes for the shoot and a larger speed light with diffuser. Hopefully this will help things.

The shoot has been pushed back a week now due to the clients work commitments so it'll give me time to practice on the missus and play with my new D7100 :D

It's good to practice. If you're confident and fun then the subject will normally respond in kind, likewise if you're nervous and apologetic.

Camera on a tripod is good, especially if the screen tilts, so you can view composition by looking down while offering direction, talking to and making eye contact with the subject, but it can restrict angles.

When you've taken practice shots, work on your post processing too to see what flatters skin and looks. Remember that *mostly* you aren't after maximum detail and resolution.

Back