First ever portraits...C&C

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey
Well I want to get into doing portraits in my little 'summerhouse studio'.
This is my first attempt early today.
This is the 2nd time I've ever shot in this environment.
And 1st with my current setup.

Edited in Lightroom.
Here's a couple.
Please let me know what you think on lighting etc, Thanks.

Last edited:
B&W is great. Go with that!
The colour one, well, he looks very orange to me, not jst his shirt. That could be my eyes, though...

But the B&W is great!

Thanks guys, I can see what you mean about his face. I'll try and adjust it a little.
And space was abit of an issue and using the 50mm, I'll watch out for that next time.

Thanks.
More c&c welcome :)

As everyone's said, the B&W is great. The pose just seems so natural too, don't have any criticism on the photo bar the slightly chopped off elbow. Good job.

Last edited:
I like them both, but perhaps using a landscape orientation would have avoided the amputation!

Definitely the first one. As mentioned before, looks really natural. His pose looks awkward on the second one, as though he's been asked to do something with his hand but he doesn't know what.

Thanks again for these comments everyone, completely see what you mean.
I'll post a couple more later.
I think most of them look better in B&W.

cool shots, is this with the 50d? im looking to get one, are you happy with it?

the black and white one is the best but watch the crops on the limbs :)

Yep, pose 2 looks fake. You also cut his arm. and then his hand. cutting bits off human beings is never a good idea. I follow the rule that its either "in or out.." If you can only see half of it after the fact remove all of it.. if its still in your viewfinder... recompose..
Number 2 is too red, try taking the red channel slider and moving it to taste. :) Nice looking kid that seems self conscious. try talking to him a lot before you click....

Yep, pose 2 looks fake. You also cut his arm. and then his hand. cutting bits off human beings is never a good idea. I follow the rule that its either "in or out.." If you can only see half of it after the fact remove all of it.. if its still in your viewfinder... recompose..
Number 2 is too red, try taking the red channel slider and moving it to taste. :) Nice looking kid that seems self conscious. try talking to him a lot before you click....

Hey thanks for the advice Dave.
Space was really limited the other night, I'd only just set up the 'studio' and quickly ask the boy (good friends brother) for some photos.

He wasn't the easiest to pose, sometime he'd be fine, other times awkward or fake.
Thanks for the tips, next time I'll be sure to get everything in :)

#1 for me although the crop camera right is not right, 'cutting' his arm and leg out.
#2 is a bit hot for me and the pose doesn't seem natural, I think you are also getting a lot of reflection from his top onto his face.

Great model, well done

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, totally agree.
(just uploaded another one for everyones comments)
Again...chopped his leg off and less contrast than #1

Last edited:
Much better Ben, great pose, but I don't know why you are cropping his leg off?
It draws a lot of unnecessary attention to the image IMHO :)

Steve

Last edited:
I don't know either :( other than lack of space as I said.
Will definitely fix this issue for next time.

Thanks

Its a nice set Ben.
I kinda got the feeling you were cramped while shooting as its something I've experienced myself :) the cut off fingers etc.. when you are happy with your set up you will pick up on things like that and better direct the subject to enhance the pics.

Do you have a shorter lens? it may help in the interrim.. I find 24-70 to be a good range for small studio work.

Sadly I don't have a shorter lens. Would maybe look at getting something around 10-20mm though.
Thanks for your comments :)

The Sigma 24-70 ex thingy! goes for just over £200 2nd hand... it would serve your needs, a 10-20 could well be too short :)

Yeah did wonder after posting that if it would be too short.
Oh when you said 24-70 I thought you meant the Canon L lens :p
I sadly don't have that amount of money after getting a 100-400.
Is the sigma rated well?
EDIT: It seems the answer is no after looking at a few reviews :\

Last edited:
the third for me is by far the best, they are all sharp and not badly posed, but only in the third is your model appearing natural and not self concious.

great start

there was something else that struck me, they seem to be of an American, sort of a style thing that comes across, though probably more to do with my imagination than anything else.

the third for me is by far the best, they are all sharp and not badly posed, but only in the third is your model appearing natural and not self concious.

great start

Thanks! I agree the 3rd is the most relaxed, natural pose(y)

there was something else that struck me, they seem to be of an American, sort of a style thing that comes across, though probably more to do with my imagination than anything else.

Eh?! :puke:
lol

Yeah did wonder after posting that if it would be too short.
Oh when you said 24-70 I thought you meant the Canon L lens :p
I sadly don't have that amount of money after getting a 100-400.
Is the sigma rated well?
EDIT: It seems the answer is no after looking at a few reviews :\

lol, we all want the Canon L ;)

The Sigma is a cracking lens mate... not sure what reviews you have seen, I think there is a mix in quality sometimes, but if you get a good one, and you should with good shopping, they are nice and sharp for what you need.

Ok thanks a lot, I'll look into it and read a few more reviews :)

Back