First Ever Roll of Film

Hey, they look pretty good to me! Focusing with a rangefinder does take a bit of getting used to, especially if the focusing mirror has become faded (quite common with older cameras) - there is a trick to placing a small piece of black tape over the front of the viewfinder corresponding to the orange rectangular focusing area (it makes it appear clear even in dim light), though I kinda got used to focusing even on faint viewfinders before I had to resort to that.

Welcome to the film world! The Olympus 35 RC is a great choice, up there with the best rangefinders.

After taking a look, I feel that you have great potential as a photographer. It's not essentially to do with whether you use digital or film media, it's about having / developing your eye, and I feel that you have one, though at this stage it's a bit erratic. If you were here in front of me with your prints on the table I'd give you a one-to-one crit. But keep at it, and apart from trial and error to do with the mechanics of the camera, recognising light, and how to organise what's in the picture frame, the best tutor is look, look, look at the work of good photographers. That way you soak something up about what's possible, and what works and how it works.

After taking a look, I feel that you have great potential as a photographer. It's not essentially to do with whether you use digital or film media, it's about having / developing your eye, and I feel that you have one, though at this stage it's a bit erratic. If you were here in front of me with your prints on the table I'd give you a one-to-one crit. But keep at it, and apart from trial and error to do with the mechanics of the camera, recognising light, and how to organise what's in the picture frame, the best tutor is look, look, look at the work of good photographers. That way you soak something up about what's possible, and what works and how it works.

Thanks I really appreciate that! I can't wait to get out and shoot again. In the meantime, regarding my fingerprint mistake... should I be OK or will I have damaged anything?

Hey, they look pretty good to me! Focusing with a rangefinder does take a bit of getting used to, especially if the focusing mirror has become faded (quite common with older cameras) - there is a trick to placing a small piece of black tape over the front of the viewfinder corresponding to the orange rectangular focusing area (it makes it appear clear even in dim light), though I kinda got used to focusing even on faint viewfinders before I had to resort to that.

Welcome to the film world! The Olympus 35 RC is a great choice, up there with the best rangefinders.

Thanks, i've been meaning to try the black tape trick! What about the fingerprint, have I escaped any damage?

In the meantime, yesterday I accidentally left a big fingerprint on my lens, I just wiped it off very quickly with a microfiber and it seems to be gone. Will I have done any damage? I've heard that fingerprints can etch into the coating?

Well I suppose depends what's on your finger o_O ;) but a greasy (might be slightly salty) fingerprint wont harm your lens if wiped off soon.....probably if left on for years might have some affect, but I've picked up some old lenses at the bootie with all sorts of smudges and they cleaned up with no problems.

Thanks, i've been meaning to try the black tape trick! What about the fingerprint, have I escaped any damage?
It should be absolutely fine, I should think a fingerprint will have to be left on a lens for some considerable time for any acids in the grease to have any effect. To be honest, you have to have quite a considerable blemish on the front element to have any noticeable effect, blemishes on the back element (part of lens closest to your film) has more impact. If you hold the lens to the light and can see clearly through, you're good to go imo.

It should be absolutely fine, I should think a fingerprint will have to be left on a lens for some considerable time for any acids in the grease to have any effect. To be honest, you have to have quite a considerable blemish on the front element to have any noticeable effect, blemishes on the back element (part of lens closest to your film) has more impact. If you hold the lens to the light and can see clearly through, you're good to go imo.

Great thanks!

Well I suppose depends what's on your finger o_O ;) but a greasy (might be slightly salty) fingerprint wont harm your lens if wiped off soon.....probably if left on for years might have some affect, but I've picked up some old lenses at the bootie with all sorts of smudges and they cleaned up with no problems.

Thank you! that's a relief!

If a finger print is left on the front lens you'd be hard pressed to see any difference in results from one that is clean, same for dust this might very slightly reduce the contrast, scratches can be covered with suitable black paint and if you drop the lens this might amuse you https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2008/10/front-element-scratches/
The important element of glass is the rear lens.

Thank you, that article is amazing! I don't think i'll worry about a fingerprint!

I used this site when I did the patch brightness trick: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-165.html

Mine's a 35 RC too and it works well (although you have to experiment a bit to get the bit of tape the right size). You could also try using a (non-permanent) black marker to just darken the centre of the viewfinder - I know some people have done this and had sucess, although it's not something I've attempted myself..

Looking at your photos, for the first and third shot I'd suggest setting the camera in A mode and then choosing a shutter speed that will give you an aperture of around f/8. That way, as long as your focussing is within a reasonable margin of error, then most of the scene will be in focus.

I used this site when I did the patch brightness trick: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-165.html

Mine's a 35 RC too and it works well (although you have to experiment a bit to get the bit of tape the right size). You could also try using a (non-permanent) black marker to just darken the centre of the viewfinder - I know some people have done this and had sucess, although it's not something I've attempted myself..

Looking at your photos, for the first and third shot I'd suggest setting the camera in A mode and then choosing a shutter speed that will give you an aperture of around f/8. That way, as long as your focussing is within a reasonable margin of error, then most of the scene will be in focus.

Thanks, i'll try this next time. What about the fingerprint, i'm really worried about it!

Stop worrying! You'd be able to see any significant damage easily. Anything you need a microscope to see isn't significant, and was probably there before you bought it. UV/protection filters are usually a very contentious issue, but as you've posted quite a few times expressing concern about the lens, you might find one helpful for now just so you can relax and shoot freely. You can always take it off later, and it will still be useful in conditions where you specifically need to protect the lens. 43.5mm is an uncommon size, but a few are still made. Look for a multicoated filter. I see Marumi has an MC protector, available on Amazon, though I don't know how good these are. Otherwise you could use a step-up ring and a 49mm filter (Hoya Fusion, Hoya HD, B+W MRC and B+W MRC Nano are all good).

Last edited:
Thanks, i'll try this next time. What about the fingerprint, i'm really worried about it!

:plus1: No need to worry there's virtually no chance anything will have happened to the lens, the amount of times I've wiped me mucky paws over a lens I have seen no sign of any problems. Just carry a nice lint free cloth and give it a wipe down and everything will be cool.:)

:plus1: No need to worry there's virtually no chance anything will have happened to the lens, the amount of times I've wiped me mucky paws over a lens I have seen no sign of any problems. Just carry a nice lint free cloth and give it a wipe down and everything will be cool.:)

Thanks so much Andy! What a relief

Stop worrying! You'd be able to see any significant damage easily. Anything you need a microscope to see isn't significant, and was probably there before you bought it. UV/protection filters are usually a very contentious issue, but as you've posted quite a few times times expressing concern about the lens, you might find one helpful for now just so you can relax and shoot freely. You can always take it off later, and it will still be useful in conditions where you specifically need to protect the lens. 43.5mm is an uncommon size, but a few are still made. Look for a multicoated filter. I see Marumi has an MC protector, available on Amazon, though I don't know how good these are. Otherwise you could use a step-up ring and a 49mm filter (Hoya Fusion, Hoya HD, B+W MRC and B+W MRC Nano are all good).

I think I may get one, I'm aware they're a subject of debate but you're right... for the amount of worrying it'll save me I think it's better to get one for now at least

You'll be fine (as others have said). Just wipe it off with a microfibre cloth (or any clean piece of cloth / tissue if you don't have a micro-fibre cloth - proper lens cloths are best, but you'll not do any harm with other cloths for occasional wipes). The Lubitel 166 U I used to have had visually apparent fungus on the lens and yet the photos it produced showed no detrimental signs at all.

You defo need to chill out about lens cleaning.

This is the third thread I've seen where you're worried about it.

Enjoy your photography and don't get OCD, it'll ruin it for you.

Third thread? I have seen these queries on multiple threads on each of three photo forums! I expect they are there in the photo forums I do not subscribe too as well.

Third thread? I have seen these queries on multiple threads on each of three photo forums! I expect they are there in the photo forums I do not subscribe too as well.

I apologise, I have edited the post to remove my stupid worrying comments. I will not do it again. I'm really sorry.

I apologise, I have edited the post to remove my stupid worrying comments. I will not do it again. I'm really sorry.
It is even worse if you have edited your post to remove your fingerprint from the lens. Now everyone saying not to worry about your fingerprint will look stupid.

You should wear white cotton gloves when you take photos and the problem will be solved :)

Well think of the digi guys with their new £700 plus lenses and the shock after sticking the finger on the lens :eek: ...but for you:- say you had marked the lens and as said you won't see any difference in your shots and all you will lose is when you sell the camera you might have to drop the price a bit if you mention the mark (maybe nothing at all if the value goes up) ...well if you compare with what you lose it could be say 2.5 packets of cigarettes or 5 pints of beer, take away fish and chips and so on

It is even worse if you have edited your post to remove your fingerprint from the lens. Now everyone saying not to worry about your fingerprint will look stupid.

You should wear white cotton gloves when you take photos and the problem will be solved :)

It's a double edged sword! I don't want to upset anyone!

I wouldn't worry about that either. People here get upset over nothing all the time. If you're worried about upsetting people on the internet cancel your broadband

It's a double edged sword! I don't want to upset anyone!

People do get upset a lot out there, you know in the digital world ;), but in film and conventional the norm is for calm reflection and sensitive debate. We dont go in for all that shouting and arguing, oh no thats not our way at all.:):hug:

People do get upset a lot out there, you know in the digital world ;), but in film and conventional the norm is for calm reflection and sensitive debate. We dont go in for all that shouting and arguing, oh no thats not our way at all.:):hug:

Well I was surprised with Asha as he seemed to be able to take any criticism and would joke it off and can't think of anything that serious that would cause him to leave.

Well I was surprised with Asha as he seemed to be able to take any criticism and would joke it off and can't think of anything that serious that would cause him to leave.

I think Asha was in a bad place mentally, a lot of stress and anxiety and under normal circumstances I suspect it would have ended much more amicably.

I really didn't mean to upset or annoy anyone, I can't apologise enough!

Thomas, you really haven't done anything wrong, there is nothing to apologise for. You were rightly concerned about the fingerprint but hopefully you have had your concerns allayed by our posts, no problems and nothing to worry about.
What you need to do now is load up some more film and go out there and enjoy your photography and make sure you let us see your results. Its a hobby that i'm sure you will enjoy and we will do our best to help with that enjoyment.:)

Cheers
Andy

Thomas, you really haven't done anything wrong, there is nothing to apologise for. You were rightly concerned about the fingerprint but hopefully you have had your concerns allayed by our posts, no problems and nothing to worry about.
What you need to do now is load up some more film and go out there and enjoy your photography and make sure you let us see your results. Its a hobby that i'm sure you will enjoy and we will do our best to help with that enjoyment.:)

Cheers
Andy

After shooting one roll I can't wait to get back out again! As I said my first roll was a disaster and i've also just found that all my shots had a bit of fluff at the top! So I need to get back out and take a decent roll!

Back