First Family Shoot

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

A work colleague of mine has asked me to do a small photograph of her immediate family (5 adults) just because they have nothing recent of them all together. So we have booked it for Saturday morning.

The location is a School Hall, not that bright inside, only a little ambient light since most of the curtains will be shut, but spacious enough to hand the 3m muslin backdrop nicely.

I knew this request was coming for some time so I have been practising getting my high key setup perfect. I am confident that I can light the Backdrop to pure white (almost completely - some hot spots) with two Jessops 360 flashes using reflective sliver umbrellas.

I practised photographing my partner last week getting correct exposure and I can take really nice shots of 1 subject using a softbox and a 430 flash.

For a larger group I have been advised to use a larger reflective umbrella, so I have a 44" (or so) reflective umbrella for the main light. This is where I am unsure of how to position it correctly - I was unable to test on my own since i'm not 5 people :(

What I had though about was using it above my head to slight camera left pointing straight down and then using a reflector near my feet to catch any shadows that might be crated under their chins/noses.

I'm also not quite sure on how to pose them exactly correctly - I was thinking quite a few simple shots from the knee upwards, possibly one of them standing 3 behind and 2 in front. I have a large PDF of 450 simple model poses but i need a group of 5.

So my two main concerns are posing the group of 5 adults, and lighting them using a large reflective umbrella.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

Hi Rich,

With your job i would of thought you would of had enough people to practice with:LOL:

Craig

Taking photos of kids is somewhat frowned upon.

Using the school hall for personal photos - not frowned upon.

It's tomorrow and im slightly worried still!

Rich

Back