First few off camer flash trials

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Well, I got my triggers from Gadget Infinity. They flahsed by themselves when I didn't want them to and then didn't flash when I wanted them to. I spent today modding them using this tutorial and so far I'm impressed with th results. They don't do anymore random flashes but still miss the odd (1 in 10) trigger. I've yet to try them over distance, it started hailing this afternoon so I decided not to give it a go. Anyway,enough rambling. These are my first couple of goes. Simply set a flash to point at the background (white mounting board) and bounced the other flash off a white wall to the left. C&C welcome and appreciated.:)

ocf-1.jpg

Yeah this one was after drinking some of it...
ocf-1-2.jpg

And finally a bit of gaffa tape showing how I set up one of the triggers. The other one is hidden lighting up the background.
ocf-1-3.jpg

See this is what I tell people that the eBay slaves arent as good as people think. You get what you pay for at the end of the day.

For £25 quid for one transmitter and two recievers they're damn near perfect.

Not a bad first attempt but there's a couple of ways you could improve them. The backgroun light isn't very even, perhaps the flash needs zooming out a it or moving further away so it lights the BG more evenly.

The wine glass is a little flat, try firing the flash through a diffuser, something like a piece of white paper would do as a start.

The backgroun light isn't very even, perhaps the flash needs zooming out a it or moving further away so it lights the BG more evenly.

Yes, looking again you're right. I was a bit limited for space, the zoom on the flash was at its widest so I need to get further away. I'll have to move the clothes horse to get back further. The things we have to put up with as amateurs.

The wine glass is a little flat, try firing the flash through a diffuser, something like a piece of white paper would do as a start.

I bounced the flash off a wall about 4 feet to the left so it's about as diffuse as I could get it. I think the glass was covered in finger prints after drinking from it which probably didn't help. I've got some proper light stands and umbrellas turning up next week so I'll give this another go and do it with a clean glass. Thanks for the feedback.

markp I got these from Gadget Infinity.

Have you read the thing on strobist about specular highlights? I think that's what you need to define the glass more, you might find the wall is too big:shrug:

Apart from the battery mod did you try the antenna addition as well. If so what range did you get after the addition.

For the price these units are very good. I'm waiting to see what the radiopoppers are like, however I reckon they will be 10 times the cost.

I tend to use these to trigger flash units that are not in line of site for the normal Canon IR option to work

Yes I did the antenna too. Looks much better even if it does nothing but I've not had a chance to test out the max distance yet. I might have a go tonight if I get a chance.

Back