First film shots

But they're good shots mate. You really know how to rock the portrait in an alley!
Milk it while the udder is full!
Seems like you've got some great colour and sharpness on these. Do you never get bored of constantly switching kit?

I'm pretty sure that was you who said that? And i seem to recall it was 'it's just an excuse to blow the highlights and compose really s***ly' actually.

I haven't switched kit in a while now, it's got to be due soon, surely??

Good shots. I notice that the alley shot with your wife and child is basically the same shot you showed in another thread but shot on digital. Have you put them side by side for comparison?

I like the shots. I've used that cheap Agfa film too with decent results. I've also got a film camera that has the same mount as my DSLR, allowing me to use my lenses. But as said, it's not quite as satisfying as using a fully manual film camera.

Decided i wanted to try this film malarky so picked up a Nikon F80 from here so i could use the lenses i already have for my digital camera. These are my first shots from it on some Poundland Vista 200.

I'm looking for some pointers and any C&C is more than welcome as always.

Couple of questions, how did i do? I know it's not really the full film experience as it's kinda like using a DSLR. I've read that colour negative film needs lots of light so should i over expose by half a stop (or more) or just carry on as i am? Apart from #1 these were all taken with spot metering (#1 was matrix) is there a preferred method?

Last question, as this was just a quick test roll and all the shots were fired off pretty quickly, i just used Asda's develop and scan service. If for some reason i think i may have a few nice ones on future rolls, where would be best to send the film to for this kind of service?

Many thanks.
David.

Congrats on your first foray into film. It looks like you're off to a good start. The only thing I'd note is that a few of the images look quite red, making the skin tones look different than I'd otherwise expect. This could be because of the way that it was scanned or also possibly because of light reflecting from the red brick or even red clothing.

If you were to "push" a film, you would do the opposite and underexpose it and then alter the development times to account for the change.

No, as I understand it pushing is where you shoot at a higher ISO, eg indoors with no flash. You do need to compensate in the development for that, usually, and Boots or Asda won't do it.

To be clear, pushing has absolutely nothing to do with how you've exposed your film. Pushing is only done at the development stage.

I can push my film (i.e., develop it longer) whether I've decided to shoot my film at a lower exposure index (i.e., underexpose it) or higher exposure index (i.e., overexpose it). Yes, most people will ordinarily only push a film when they've underexposed it, but there are folks who like to push overexposed film too. For instance, I've noticed that Jonathan Canlas has been pushing his overexposed Portra 800 recently to bump the contrast.

Good shots. I notice that the alley shot with your wife and child is basically the same shot you showed in another thread but shot on digital. Have you put them side by side for comparison?

I like the shots. I've used that cheap Agfa film too with decent results. I've also got a film camera that has the same mount as my DSLR, allowing me to use my lenses. But as said, it's not quite as satisfying as using a fully manual film camera.

Thanks. Yes, i did look at them side by side. They were shot on two different lenses though so it's not quite a fair comparison. The digital was much sharper.

I'm nowhere near ready to take any further steps into film yet. I need to walk before i try running.

Congrats on your first foray into film. It looks like you're off to a good start. The only thing I'd note is that a few of the images look quite red, making the skin tones look different than I'd otherwise expect. This could be because of the way that it was scanned or also possibly because of light reflecting from the red brick or even red clothing.

To be clear, pushing has absolutely nothing to do with how you've exposed your film. Pushing is only done at the development stage.

I can push my film (i.e., develop it longer) whether I've decided to shoot my film at a lower exposure index (i.e., underexpose it) or higher exposure index (i.e., overexpose it). Yes, most people will ordinarily only push a film when they've underexposed it, but there are folks who like to push overexposed film too. For instance, I've noticed that Jonathan Canlas has been pushing his overexposed Portra 800 recently to bump the contrast.

Yes, i noticed this too. Wasn't sure if it was the nature of the film or something else. Going to gove the 400 a whirl this weekend and see what the results are like in comparison.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, some great info coming through.

Back