First filters?

Name
James Knott
Edit My Images
Yes
It's my Birthday on the 20th January, and although I'm getting tickets for Reading festival and I should be getting the Nifty Fifty lens for my 350D, I also want to try and get some filters.

Am I right in thinking I should get the Cokin P filters? I only have the kit lens (18-55mm) at the moment, but as I said I should be getting the Nifty Fifty for my Birthday. Is there a specific holder or set of filters that I need to buy to use with these lenses? Or are they pretty much universal?

From what I understand, I should look at getting an ND Grad filter, a polarizing filter and a UV filter? Are there any particular ones that you would recommend me for my camera/lens? Preferably not really expensive ones, but I'd like them to be decent. I'm also open to any suggestions of other filters you think I'd find useful.

Also where would be the best place to buy them, price wise? Is it worth getting them online or should I just get them from the local Jessops?

Thanks!

Jaykay. If you are post processing in Photoshop the only filters you reall need are a Circular Polariser and One or two ND's. They are available in the Cokin range and go from ND2 to ND8 and can be solid or graduated. Use a screw in UV mainly to protect you lens from damage.
Try this link

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/products/cokin-a153-grey-nd4x/1117/

Hope this helps

Thanks for the link - useful for me too.

I've heard that some people buy one ND grad filter - for landscapes - and just hold it in place in front of the lens. Can I just buy one designed for Cokin holders and hold it there? Are there sharp edges, or is it very fragile on its own, or is there any other reason why I shouldn't use it like that? :)

(another question - sorry to hijack your thread Jaykay - hope you find it useful too):

I know some people say UV filters are great for lens protection and MUST be used continuously, and some say that they degrade image quality and MUSTN'T be used continuously. I have them on my Pentax kit lens and 'nifty fifty'. Would I notice the difference if I took them off, and does anyone have any examples of the drop in quality that they cause? Thanks!

No reason you cant just hold it over the front of the lens especially if you go for the "Cokin P Type" (they are bigger). Use a grad if you want to balance the sky / land exposure or solid if you want to reduce the overall exposure value. (moving water).

Firstly ask yourself what exactly do you want them to achieve.

Different filters attached differently to cameras, some screw directly in the lens ring, others slide into a holder, for example the COKIN P holder. If you opt for the COKIN P holder or most holders, you will need an adapter ring to allow the holder to slot into it ...

Start http://www.cokin.co.uk/pages/main.htm and complete some background reading.

great post, thanks for the links. Something tells me i wont be getting much work done tomorrow, be too busy reading up :)

you can usually get a job lot off ebay of cokin filters if you want to experiment more. Thats what I did when I first started. I found a grad and the ND ones are good fun too

Back