First Gig @Birmingham O2 Academy

Name
gary
Edit My Images
No
Now this is something I would love to do on a regular basis but getting your foot on the ladder is proving somewhat of a impossible obstacle,
I managed to get a photo pass for this gig "The Wonder Stuff" purely by a bit of luck and audacity. Emailed the singer via facebook and he put me in touch with his management who, much to my disbelief put my name on the list. i suppose you don't ask you don't get.
Only ever shot 3 gigs prior and these were in little local clubs, nothing on this scale. I was a bit overwhelmed at first mainly because of the togs in there would be used to this environment however there was no snobbery from the other guys and it turned out to be a pretty awesome night.
Would love some feedback from any regular concert photographers
Now when the next opportunity will arise i will never know :(

Cheers Gaz

Erica Violin norm by Gig Togger, on Flickr

Miles pout norm by Gig Togger, on Flickr

Miles Guitar by Gig Togger, on Flickr

Milo BIG by Gig Togger, on Flickr

Erica - big2 by Gig Togger, on Flickr

Erica red Head Norm by Gig Togger, on Flickr

Great stuff for a first time. I think a couple of these suffer from very tight crops but overall they're good. I particularly like the first and last :)

Fantastic work for first 'proper' gig... Was it trail and error on the shots or did you have a good idea for the settings re lighting?

absolute trial and error, started off by sticking it in Aperture priority but was getting terrible results so I just bit the bullet stuck it in manual and had a good working settings after a few mins of shooting. Was lucky because we were allowed to stay in for the whole gig

Ahh yes, normally it's a deal on the first 2 or 3 songs. Good work on manual... I'd probably still be suffering on a priority setting! For live gig work check out Danny North, http://www.dannynorth.co.uk/ he's brilliant and does our work live events at O2 Arena & Wembley Stadium, plus he's a really nice guy and blogs his tips etc.

Pretty good effort for a first attempt. Always stick on manual. You will lose too many shots from dodgy metering in AV or TV modes.

I presume the B&W is due to the colour, try your best to get them in colour if you are wanting to move forward, B&W rarely sell. A few look a tiny bit under on the subject etc. but for a first effort you did good mate.

I shot The Wonderstuff back in the summer at Camp Bestival, brought back some childhood memories.

My stuff is on my site if you want to have a look.

Again good effort for a first try.

Pretty good effort for a first attempt. Always stick on manual. You will lose too many shots from dodgy metering in AV or TV modes.

I presume the B&W is due to the colour, try your best to get them in colour if you are wanting to move forward, B&W rarely sell. A few look a tiny bit under on the subject etc. but for a first effort you did good mate.

I shot The Wonderstuff back in the summer at Camp Bestival, brought back some childhood memories.

My stuff is on my site if you want to have a look.

Again good effort for a first try.

Fantastic site Carl, cheers for the input always take everything on board. I dont think I am looking to sell ( but that would be nice ) as who would buy mine when there are a mountain of people in your league doing it. it's just the chance to get into these venues with the camera.
Love the Bloc party shot, Erica ( biased ) and ian Brown through the tambourine is WOW!!
Thanks again

I like all of these! And I love te Wonderstuff!!!
As for tight crops and B&W, they remind me of how photos looked to me in the 90's ... a mere glimpse into the exciting world of live music, rather than an artform in itself ... Love 'em!

I like all of these! And I love te Wonderstuff!!!
As for tight crops and B&W, they remind me of how photos looked to me in the 90's ... a mere glimpse into the exciting world of live music, rather than an artform in itself ... Love 'em!

cheers mate, they are my musical idols and I found myself half the time just watching and singing along!! lol

I love this style of photography hence searching for it and bringing up an older thread. The pictures that stand out for me are numbers 2 and 4 but particularly number 4. Did you get any more of the female violinist? I find that with violins/violas I like an image where the player's bow is towards the heel of the bow. It's also a shame that her eyes are closed.

Back