First gig photography..

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
Hi all.

Im about to start getting back into my photography properly. At some point i'll probably be upgrading to a 5D or 7D but for now i have a 550D i dont know how to use that well so i'll learn to master that first! Hopefully the future will hold Wedding Photography for me and my partner as we are both into our photography and getting out and about. So what ever kit i choose i will keep in mind the possibility of wedding shots too.

So........ I've been asked to shoot a live music gig next week by the organisers! Its going to be very dark.. and i know i am going to struggle! Im up for buying a bit of new kit with a little research and recommendation from you guys on here :)

What i have at the moment is an amateur set up :

Canon 550D
50mm 1.8
18-55mm
430EX II

Im quite happy with a bit of grain, i think it looks better for live gig photography anyway. But any advice on kit would be appreciated. At the moment i quite fancy a 50mm 1.4 so upgrade the 1.8... but that will serve two pursposes.

Nick

How big is the venue ,what style of bands/ singers are playing ? Will you be able to have a word with the guy on the lights,what kind of venue is it,how close to the band will you be allowed,all questions I would be asking myself

The 1.4 though will give you the extra stop of light,BUT it's a very shallow depth of field and easier to miss focus in the dark especially on the relatively old technology of the 550d (not impossible I shot loads of gigs with a 450 and 1.8), I'd use the 50 mm 1.8 and consider something wider like a 17-55mm 2.8 and maybe something a little longer like a 85 mm 1.8

Thanks Brendan, great advice. The 85mm 1.8 is something I've actually been eyeing up or even the 1.4. I guess I can make up for missing focus by taking lots!!

It's a solo guitarist/singer with band. Not sure on talking to the lights tech.. But definitely going to enquire about that! I'm going to find out some more about the venue and how close we will be allowed.

It's the Ritz in Manchester, it looks like this. Quite good as lighting goes!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444579519.337231.jpg

looks like you will be in the pit...the usual script is 3 songs and your out, lighting as you say will be ok, well ok as in difficult but not impossible, the stage is quite high, expect lots of shots up people noses, the 85mm will help you get some shots of the drummer, something wider as in the 17-55 will help you get all the rest of the band in, you can only step back 3-4 foot looking at the picture above

Ive been reading about the 3 song etiquette...I'll make sure I take as many as possible! I know I'll struggle with my stock 18-55mm lens there, hoping the 50mm will give me the best shots. We aren't taking them for any magazine or anything .. The venue is allowing us to do this for practice :)

You could always rent something so you don't have to commit to any big glass purchase.

I am by no means an expert, but been shooting for a couple of medium venues since about 2011. Started with a 350d and 40d with 50mm f1.8 (on 40d) and 85mm f1.8 (on 350d) - 85mm a much better lens, but wasn't wide enough to be the main lens, but good to getting drummer or closer face shots. I think I held my own pretty well with this starter kit About 2 or 3 years ago I upgraded to 2nd hand 5dii, which helped so much in terms of ISO capabilities. A 24-70mm f2.8 seemed to be the weapon of choice for a lot of others in the various pits, but I could never justify buying it, although I rented it a few times. I now have a 2nd hand one and have shot a couple of gigs with it so far - I much prefer the sharpness of the 85mm, and I felt primes made me think about framing a lot more, but I can't argue with the flexibility of the range of zoom, however, shooting with a 50mm so much more comfortable!!! 24-70 so heavy for prolonged shooting, even if only for a few songs - i'll have to do some arm work outs, ha ha. Try not to shoot any lower than f2.8 if the light allows, I used to stick to f1.8 as I was afraid to boost too much ISO, but DOF just so small, actually had some good advice on this very forum about such things which made me braver with my ISO :)

The pit looks a similar size to the ones I shoot the most in, and it is hard sometimes not to get up the nose shots - try to make sure that what you publish/give to the venue is flattering for the artist (as best you can). Research the band, look at other photos from their shows to get an idea of trademark moves or what songs have big events in that might result in a good shot.

Be courteous of other photogs in the pit, don't get in the way and share the space, moving between each song so everyone get a range of shots, don't hold your camera in the air and fire off shots. Feeling like a noob isn't great, I've met some lovely people in various pits, but also some who clearly have a problem with newbies who don't have 'all the kit' (look at my big lens/big penis metaphor) - luckily these are in the minority! But just be aware of other peoples space and moving around. Of course you might get a completely empty pit - which is even better!

Ive just purchased my 24-70 f2.8 from a seller here so thats a great start :)

This is going to be a bit of an eye opener for me on Monday but its a going to be a good start. I am also shooting a Fell event up Moel Famau in November too!

(by the way ive totally just seen your Alien costume avatar - thats from one of the clubs of which I am a member. I have a Stormtrooper suit and one of the best Chewbacca's out there! ;) )

well you're off to a good start then, you'll have a bit more reach on the cropped sensor if needs be.

(aha - that's from quite a few years ago now, and a phone pic, hence the quality. I like the little kid meets giant alien thing! I used to work at some conventions so our paths may well have crossed at some point :) however the best Chewbacca is always Peter, surely? :p )

Ok, well, maybe I'm the best lookalike..

Bit off topic but hey....

uploadfromtaptalk1444992323700.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1444992331179.jpeguploadfromtaptalk1444992335878.jpeg

Back