Beginner First go a focus stacking

Other than the couple of oof patches you've done a pretty good job there Ade. (y)

That's good, I did the same thing and experimented with coins laid flat, keep it up :)

Am i right in think the oof patches are around the wording on the coin as it is hard to tell on my monitor (time to get a new one me thinks) Oh and thanks for the feedback

Merry Christmas!!
Yes, there's a small patch around the P but the bigger patch is a horizontal band that runs through the lion's 'elbow'.
Still a good first effort though. :cool:

Yes, even at f13 the DOF will be miniscule.
How are you refocusing each time, using the focus ring or moving the camera?

Nice shooting. I didn't notice the out of focus patches at first but not mega distracting from the overall image. Great for a first try. Looking forward to trying this myself after Christmas when my focus rail arrives.

I have a cheap macro focus rail which, though it isn't the best quality, allows me to make accurate changes for each shot.
I got mine on here for a fiver posted if I recall but they're not expensive to buy new.

Oh yes, that is much much better. :)

I use a Velbon focus rail, very good.

Yes, much better!
The 2p looks perfect, I can't see any OOF patches at all on that.
The medal has a few odd bits in it where the software hasn't done it's job properly, look at the writing from REGINA onwards and you'll see NA, FID and BETH haven't lined up properly.
You also may just have missed the bottom edge too.
Good fun though eh? :clap:

Yes, much better!
The 2p looks perfect, I can't see any OOF patches at all on that.
The medal has a few odd bits in it where the software hasn't done it's job properly, look at the writing from REGINA onwards and you'll see NA, FID and BETH haven't lined up properly.
You also may just have missed the bottom edge too.
Good fun though eh? :clap:

Thanks Wozzaaah. I did how ever try a different approach on the medal and move the camera each time. just a case of keep practising I guess?

Practice most definitely makes perfect Ade.
If you're shuffling the camera it's quite easy to put it out of alignment which makes it harder for the software to align the shots.
I'd recommend Zerene Stacker, you can try it for 30 days for free, link.

Has anyone gad any experience with the stackshot system? ??
I'm thinking if getting a set up.
At present I use the MPE - 65 and MT24 - EX flash all my pics are hand held.
But the results from photo stacking are awsome, so I want to be part if it.

I appreciate any advice available.

Back