Beginner First go at fireworks

Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I'd have a go at fireworks last night. Never done it before so it was a pretty steep learning curve. Was pretty happy with some of the results though.
This is my favourite from the set.

Comments and critique more than welcome.
38129905056_1374c360e0_o.jpg

Looks good, any more?

Why not put these on layers and blend them into one image?

Could be a nice busy display ;)

I like the first for its simplicity but normally you would endeavour to use a long exposure to get multiple fireworks in one shot which makes it more dramatic and a wide angle to capture some environmental context.

You've managed not to over expose them though, which is good.

Why not put these on layers and blend them into one image?

Could be a nice busy display ;)

Yeah I'd be insterested to see these stacked too, good work though on your first attempt!

Thanks everyone . I will look to see if I have any with more in shot. I was a little limited. I'm on a crop sensor , I believe I was at 18mm but couldn't get any further back.

Will have a bash at stacking a few

Well exposed shots but you chopped off the bottom of the fireworks which ruins it for me.

Well exposed shots but you chopped off the bottom of the fireworks which ruins it for me.

Ok thanks will give it a little more room at the bottom next time. I framed it with the top of the tubes of fireworks just out of shot so I could get as much of the sky in as possible but not sure it helped my composition here

I've done some fireworks in the past, and yours have come out quite similar to mine, nothing wrong with them at all. For me, though, what makes some fireworks shots is having an interesting foreground as well as the firework itself, and around here most of my local displays don't lend themselves to it because of their locations.

I used to often take the wrong lens with me. One year I went with a Tamron 70-200 and fought my way through pitch darkness to get a decent view across some fields towards the display. Aside from almost having a heart attack any time anything in the nearby hedges rustled, I found quite quickly that it wasn't anywhere near wide enough for the location. The trouble is, it's hard to guess on that until the fireworks actually start going up.

Back