First Go at macro (again)

Edit My Images
Yes
hi,
as promised my first go at macro for i am only a begginner and i am only 14

please tell me what you think and any advice is welcome

Thanks

bee_620_x_780_.jpg

Good job Chaz...like the composition and think the subject is well placed within the frame (y)

The light looks quite harsh....would you have been able to stop bits of the white flowers being so bright if you had softer light? Bright sunshine is great for bringing the beasties out but the harsh shadows make photography difficult. Bright but hazy or slightly overcast light is usually what I hope for....keept at it :)

Well done chazz.
You've caught quite a lot of detail here.
The segmented legs and veins in the wing are there for all to see.
When you get down close and personal the camera magnifies not only the insect or whatever you're shooting but also the movement of the camera - dreaded camera shake ...aaagh - you don't want that. Causes blurr and you lose detail.
So, keep camera as steady as possible (could try using a tripod) if hand-held, try a fast-ish shutter speed and concentrate on focusing on the eyes.
I dis-agree with daft_biker, with bright light it will be easier to get a fast shutter speed and less blurr.
Keep up the good work and I'll be looking out for your next pic.

Hi i like the framing and as rockshifter has said you've got plenty of detail, (if you leave the exif data intact it makes it easier to comment on settings) also i'm with rockshifter and like as much light as possible when shooting macro and still use diffused flash on bright sunny days- it all helps to maintain a fast shutter speed at small apertures (f11-f16 mostly for me)

For your first attempt it's a crackin shot, have a little play with it if you want it to really stand out, I would rotate it 90* clockwise, a very light sharpen and a play with the curves and just darken the light spot in the eye a bit will make the bee stand out more imo.

Last edited:
I dis-agree with daft_biker, with bright light it will be easier to get a fast shutter speed and less blurr.

I said I like bright light too....just not harsh light. There's no flash here (that I can see) and I'm assuming handheld so using reflectors isn't likely to be too practical.

I'll rephrase.....I prefer bright but diffuse light ;)

Back