Critique First go at newborn photography

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
Copy and paste the BB code into the thread. Make sure size is no larger than 1024

image.jpg

Last edited:
I quite like them, but you should really take your time with the skin tones. Look very magenta/purple here, especially the second colour one.

The black and whites look a little too gritty for this kind of shoot IMO.

They're good, but agree about the tones though. The first ones a cracker. I like the idea with the feet, but the dark part of background is a wee bit distracting for me. I notice they're all at ISO 160, but look quite grainy.

For the black and whites you need to open up the shadows, boost the exposure a tad and smooth the skin ever so slightly.

The colour version you need to look at the red channel. The first, warmer shot is much better than the second.

Yes i did wonder myself if they should be a bit softer. Any tips to get better skin tones?
The only advice I'll give is universal, always ensure the colour and everything else is right before doing the B&W conversion.

And use an appropriate B&W conversion for your subject. If doing it universally you shouldn't go either soft or hard.

They're good, but agree about the tones though. The first ones a cracker. I like the idea with the feet, but the dark part of background is a wee bit distracting for me. I notice they're all at ISO 160, but look quite grainy.

At that ISO, what could have caused grain? I can't see it on my monitor (that could just be me though!). Could it be my editing?

At that ISO, what could have caused grain? I can't see it on my monitor (that could just be me though!). Could it be my editing?

FWIW I don't think they're grainy. There's a lot of harsh textures in there, deep shadows in the rug, blotchy baby skin tones.... Basically like I said before I think they've been edited too harshly for the subject - but I don't think it's because of grain (and at that ISO it won't be)... Unless like you say, you've added it while you were editing.

Hi Dan, I think the actual photos are great and I'm not surprised your sister loved them! There are already a lot of useful comments here. When I'm doing a quick edit, if you have lightroom mobile, once you're happy with the skin tones, I tend to soften (reduce clarity a fraction) any newborn shots ever so slightly given the subject matter, then I would probably pick the "portrait b&w" or "film 4" as I think they give nice gentle contrast but that's a personal choice.

Back