First go at Night Shoots with New Camera

Edit My Images
No
I think the first shot has potential as a location. A few things that spring to mind. I think the composition would look more natural if the camera were orientated in a manner where you could see roughly where the cannon is pointing. Tells a little more of a story and would lead the viewer in to the scene. The shot is very noisy and in my opinion a little too bright. Exif data says it was shot at iso 1600, 30 secs, f/14. Assuming that you couldn't leave the shutter open longer and were governed by 30 secs max, you could probably have got away with something like iso 200, f/8 for 30 secs. It would be a stop and a third darker but I suspect that would look better.

Not a massive fan of 2 and 3 I'm afraid.

Thanks gad-westy, i'll give that a try next time. I forgot that i set the ISO to auto as i usually shoot around ISO 100-200 during the night, and i can set the camera to bulb mode but not ideal until my remote control arrives in the post.

I did attempt to shoot at the direction of where the cannon is pointing but it was just too windy last night and was lucky to get that shot in while i could. As an example i attach a day shot of what you explained, i shot this one a while back with a bridge camera when i started out taking photos (it's photo-shopped to hell too as i started playing with photos back then too), if i can get this at night all lit up with the cannon it would look great. hopefully the bad weather down this way will ease off in the next few days and i can try again.

I also agree with 2+3, but i could not find anywhere else to put them as all i can find for night shoots is in the landscape section, it's more urban IMO.

Thanks gad-westy, i'll give that a try next time. I forgot that i set the ISO to auto as i usually shoot around ISO 100-200 during the night, and i can set the camera to bulb mode but not ideal until my remote control arrives in the post.

I did attempt to shoot at the direction of where the cannon is pointing but it was just too windy last night and was lucky to get that shot in while i could. As an example i attach a day shot of what you explained, i shot this one a while back with a bridge camera when i started out taking photos (it's photo-shopped to hell too as i started playing with photos back then too), if i can get this at night all lit up with the cannon it would look great. hopefully the bad weather down this way will ease off in the next few days and i can try again.

I also agree with 2+3, but i could not find anywhere else to put them as all i can find for night shoots is in the landscape section, it's more urban IMO.

I think that composition is a lot stronger. Definitely worth re-shooting when the weather is on your side.

Got a chance to go back up tonight to shoot the image in the direction of what the cannon is seeing, was not too disappointed. I think the image can be improved such as straightening etc but for now, it's ok until i get a chance to edit it properly.

Cleddau Bridge Park by chris_ball_75, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back