First go at Portrait - Sister

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I've had my camera about 1 week now, but I haven't been able to play with it as much as I would like, due to the bad weather. :razz: I asked my sister if she would me taking some shots of her, she didn't mind at all. The lighting is really difficult to get right, especially when your using normal room lights!

Here are the best ones:

DSC_0050-1.jpg

DSC_0068-1.jpg

DSC_0075-1.jpg

DSC_0054-1.jpg

DSC_0071-1.jpg

As you can see, there's a lot of noise, probably due to using 400-800 ISO and lo lighting.

I'm looking for some tips on how to improve them, especially on lighting. Though, it is difficult with no lighting equipment. :thumbsdown:

I think there are some really nice ones, the backgroud [with the picture in] would be nice if it wasnt there, and try and shoot the close-ups on the plain wall where she is stood. But I havent really done any portraits, its just an observation, and I'll let yo know when I start taking them. :LOL:
but willing model for you!

I think there are some really nice ones, the backgroud [with the picture in] would be nice if it wasnt there, and try and shoot the close-ups on the plain wall where she is stood. But I havent really done any portraits, its just an observation, and I'll let yo know when I start taking them. :LOL:
but willing model for you!

I did take a few shots with the picture up, then decided to take it off afterwords to give me a clean and free background.

I did take a few shots with the picture up, then decided to take it off afterwords to give me a clean and free background.

Yeah I think it was a good idea to take the picture down. I feel that sometimes though the noise can add to black and white images, and make them feel more arty.
I'd love to see one of these in colour though, just for comparison :)

Steven - they all look a tad soft to me? OK, so you're limited with the lighting, but have a play in Photoshop with the levels; you will get some better results with some more PP.

Here's a quick stab at #1. OK, I've lost some detail in the top part of your sisters hair, because I rushed it and didn't take enough care with the dodge tool. But you see the sort of effect you can achieve with some PP'ing.

sister.jpg

There are some really nice ones there. Perhaps try putting a white card or some sort of reflector (tin foil would do) on the darker side to put some light back in.

But seeing you haven't had your camera long, those are pretty good.(y)

some nice shot there mate .

if you look at some of the musicmans threads you will find some good helpfull hints and tips to try out.

i would get your sister to step away from the wall so you loose the shadows.. possible try a tripod for a few shots to see the diff

but keep shooting..

tfs

md(y)

Cheers guys,

A few more:

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

eye.jpg
#

I'm also uploading a slightly sharper version of the first batch.

Dave - I'll have a look at that guide, cheers. I actually got my tripod delivered today, it's a little smaller than I imagined though. I'm 6ft and it sits just above my bell button. :thumbsdown:

I think your sister has a great look, even better that she is willing to stand in front of the camera for you. Check out some poses in magazines and copy them (not the photo), I think you will end up with shot that you and your sister will be very pleased with.

Check your focusing, and focus on the eyes.

A model, no wonder she has a great look. She'll be charging you for too many photo sessions I'm sure.
Here's one of the photo adjusted for colour balance. I just used select tool, clicked on an area in the background and got this result. Gets rid of the orange cast from the indoor lighting. Oh and slight crop.
DSC_0123.jpg

Personally I prefer the black and white with the somewhat harsh lighting resulting from the simple (yet fairly effective) set up.
Wish I had someone who would pose for me.

This post, coming from me, may surprise a few people. LOL.

I very much like the fifth (last) image in the original post, shadows and all. It's got a great fashion look to it, and quite effectively breaks the "no shadows on the background" rule. The light falling on the face is soft enough to work, particularly since the shadows are falling in the right direction. There are no catchlights in the eyes, but because 1) this isn't a close-up headshot, and 2) the model's expression and body language are very strong, it doesn't matter.

Now, in the other shots in the original post, the lighting angle does work against you a little. If you had simply had her turn more toward the light and look up into it just a tad, you'd have achieved much more flattering light, eliminating the shadows falling under her eyes.

You've done well dealing with the available light you had to work with. Honestly, flash would not have improved these -- it would've flattened out those modeling shadows and created much more of a snapshotty look.

Again, that last shot of the original post -- very well done.

(I'm sure your sister hears it all the time, but she's a dead ringer for Christina Applegate.)

- CJ

I prefer the b&w shots too, and I think there's quite a bit that's rescue-able here, bit of levels, bit of USM, dodge & burn.
Ive been playing for the last few minutes, hope you dont mind.

But of course you dont want to be doing all this in PS, you need to work on finding a nice soft light source find some way to get some light into the eyes, sheet of tin foil folded over a magazine will do for starters... anything really, just think out of the box.
Ive put some catchlights in her eyes but ... Im not sure theyre correctly placed, however it gives the idea of how much it lifts the picture.

DSC_0075-2.jpg

Btw, youre so lucky to have such a gorgeous sister, it doesnt surprise me to read that she's a model.
Im sure with just bit more practice and youll be rolling out the model shots together! (y)

EDIT: Been trying to post this pic for the last 20 mins ... I cant believe how many posts youve had during that time. Guess thats what having a model for a sister does for ya! ;)

I hope you dont mind that I had a play about with one of your colour pictures, and turned it into black and white, I will remove it if you ask. :)
I am just learning elements, so any chance i get to have a look at other's work, and try bits out, i do...hope you dont mind. [and OT for this thread, how is my post processing coming on ppl?]

2052932329_c5b39cc9f3_o.jpg

This post, coming from me, may surprise a few people. LOL.

I very much like the fifth (last) image in the original post, shadows and all. It's got a great fashion look to it, and quite effectively breaks the "no shadows on the background" rule. The light falling on the face is soft enough to work, particularly since the shadows are falling in the right direction. There are no catchlights in the eyes, but because 1) this isn't a close-up headshot, and 2) the model's expression and body language are very strong, it doesn't matter.

Now, in the other shots in the original post, the lighting angle does work against you a little. If you had simply had her turn more toward the light and look up into it just a tad, you'd have achieved much more flattering light, eliminating the shadows falling under her eyes.

You've done well dealing with the available light you had to work with. Honestly, flash would not have improved these -- it would've flattened out those modeling shadows and created much more of a snapshotty look.

Again, that last shot of the original post -- very well done.

(I'm sure your sister hears it all the time, but she's a dead ringer for Christina Applegate.)

- CJ

Thanks a lot of the comments, appreciate it. I will work more on my lighting, and I'll be practising with her a lot ;)

To everyone else: Feel free to mess around with them in Photoshop, that's why I have the box ticked, no need to keep asking. ;)

I hope you dont mind that I had a play about with one of your colour pictures, and turned it into black and white, I will remove it if you ask. :)
I am just learning elements, so any chance i get to have a look at other's work, and try bits out, i do...hope you dont mind. [and OT for this thread, how is my post processing coming on ppl?]

2052932329_c5b39cc9f3_o.jpg

I actually really like that, thank you!

For some reason i like the orange tint in the colour versions. Usualy when i use a studio and it casts an orange light over a white background i feel like throwing the blasted things out the window. However for some reason in this image it works for me...

Dont get me wrong the B&W's are great to, i just thoguht i'd make th epoint of liking the colour ones.

For my future shots, is using that wall ok? I'll will try and find out a way to soften the light a little and not make it as intense.

Thanks again everyone for the comments.

Ive spent all morning being a model, I now have to get behind the camera and shoot a model for my next module

Are you doing a photography course or something?

some nice shot there mate .

if you look at some of the musicmans threads you will find some good helpfull hints and tips to try out.

i would get your sister to step away from the wall so you loose the shadows.. possible try a tripod for a few shots to see the diff

but keep shooting..

tfs

md(y)

Which thread are you talking about? I can't seem to find it.

Which thread are you talking about? I can't seem to find it.

not one imparticular mate :D
just if you look at his threads you will see advice and comments. off other members which will help.
a little comment here and bit of advice there goes along way.

you will be supprised what you will pick up over time.

hth

md(y)

Looks like your already getting the hang of the camera! Some good first portraits, and what a stunning sister you have :)

Great model you got to work with :D My sister would just nick a lens and run off or something! I agree with all the above, try for a bit better lighting, higher shutter speed might help, but keep going I'm jealous!

Back