Critique First go at portraiture

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone. Last weekend I had my first go at portraiture. The model is my friend Vaishali and it was in no way a “proper” photoshoot - just a bit of fun.

There are a few ways I think I could have done better with these photos, but I would be interested to get a second opinion on what everyone thinks could be improved.
1)
Vaishali 1 by mark-hayes, on Flickr

2)
Vaishali 3 (B&W) by mark-hayes, on Flickr

3)
Vaishali 8 by mark-hayes, on Flickr

4)
Vaishali 10 by mark-hayes, on Flickr

5)
Vaishali 11 by mark-hayes, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Not crazy on the location, the background looks a little bleak. I do like the BW, has a good feel about it.

I am no expert by any means__the first thing that stikes me though is you need to use a wider aperture to throw the background out of focus somewhat and therefore bringing the attention to your model.

Gaz

I like 1, 2 and 3. The model is well separated from the background and, especially in 1 and 2, looks like she belongs in a scifi scenario.

The lighting in 1 is very unflattering to her face, emphasising her cheekbones and the inverted V that peaks at her nose, however I like the light on shoulders and upper arms.

Number 2 is the winner here, with a rim light that separates the model from the backdrop, while flattering her too.

Take smelly thing out from under her nose. Not sure what look she was going for ("Blue Steel"? ;)), but it just doesn't work for me.

Other than her expression, I like 1 and 2 but find 3 boring, and the backgrounds in the rest are just too distracting.

2nd B&W one is great. Last one OK. Lighting and technicals are fine in all of them but the backgrounds and pose in the others doesn't work for me. Great effort though - I'd have been happy just getting #2 out of these!

#2 is my favourite. The lighting is great and it removes the background distractions.

Sorry to go off track, but the lady has gorgeous hair. I think, for your first go - you've done really really well. Its your first go, keep at it ! (y)

btw, i think the 2nd image is spot on

Back