First go at star trails

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
So after wanting to give this a go for a while now, I managed to convince my GF to come with me and keep me company on a freezing cold winter's night while I shot the sky!
Planned on being up there for about an hour but it started clouding over so only managed about 20 mins
17 x 25s exposures stacked using StarStax gave this result:

Birkbrow by C.Moore!, on Flickr

Want to get back out and use this location but get rid of the fence, D'OH!

C+C Welcome, as always!

Last edited:
Cheers Matt! I'm pretty chuffed with them tbh, only thing I'm a bit dodgy on is some of the lines further out look very dotted and not smooth. Was wondering if this was caused by the processing time after each 25s shot?
Settings were:
25s exposures at f3.5 and ISO800, fired continuously with a lockable trigger

Cheers Matt! I'm pretty chuffed with them tbh, only thing I'm a bit dodgy on is some of the lines further out look very dotted and not smooth. Was wondering if this was caused by the processing time after each 25s shot?
Settings were:
25s exposures at f3.5 and ISO800, fired continuously with a lockable trigger

I've never quite seen them like that, what software did you use to do the stacking? and was there much delay between one exposure ending and the next one starting??

I used StarStax software.
I think my camera processed it for about the same length of time as it took to take the picture, so about 25s. I did wonder if this would affect the final image

I used StarStax software.
I think my camera processed it for about the same length of time as it took to take the picture, so about 25s. I did wonder if this would affect the final image

Sounds like you had in camera Long exposure noise reduction swithched on!

Next time make sure it's switched off and apply any noise reduction on the computer afterwards!

Still a very good first attempt!:clap:

Next time make sure it's switched off and apply any noise reduction on the computer afterwards!

Still a very good first attempt!:clap:

Well I feel stupid! But I'm still a total newbie with photography

Any advice on lowering noise levels PP?

:plus1: though to be honest I've never had to apply and NR in post processing myself (y)

Matt

Well I feel stupid! But I'm still a total newbie with photography

Any advice on lowering noise levels PP?

As Matt has already said in star trails pp noise reduction isn't usually necessary!

But if you do need to apply some pp noise reduction there are plenty of sofware available!

A quick search on TP will point you in the right direction!(y)

Back