First go at studio

Name
Wilson
Edit My Images
Yes
I felt compelled to give studio photography a try. What happened was I ended up with a whole litany of mistakes :LOL: I went in unprepared with no ideas, couldn't get the lighting to be how I wanted regardless the amount of twiddling with them, and probably worst of all I had no rapport with any of my subjects. Any images I had of them smiling looked totally unnatural. At no point did I get the feeling of satisfaction one gets when they know they took a good image after pressing the shutter.

Despite all the mistakes I feel like I learnt from them, it was fun to try something different and to be out of your comfort zone. A couple of results are below, there's some clipping in the highlight and shadows, as I tried to get a higher key look in PP due to my failure in controlling the original lighting. Next time I hope to do better. :)

1480147958_f80b23edd5_o.jpg

1480147578_232945bc1b_o.jpg

I reckon you did OK, particularly with the first one, but look how getting a good white bg really peps the shot up - that's all Ive done to it. A pretty rough and ready job with the colour replacer tool mind you.

1480147958_f80b23edd5_o-2.jpg

Normally I'd have had him more to the left of the frame but I think this works really well here. (y)

Ooooh hi-key - me very much likes hi-key...:)

I too think you did a good enough job for your first attempt (and there's me sounding as though I have been doing this for years!!!).

So, what was the set up you used for these shots as I'd be interested to see how you took them. The 1st shot seems to be well balanced except you could have placed more light on the background to try to blow it out.

If I have learned correctly - try setting the light to +1.5 to +2 stops for the background which will ensure you totally blow out the white. Then ensure none or as little of that light you're using for the background can spill back to the subject - though in some cases it can look nice, especially where there's a darker edge as you get a nice looking lighting effect around those edges.

In the 2nd shot - did you intend to have more light on the one side of the model...? Again though, up the light blasted onto the background to totally blow it out. You can always use Photoshop though if you don't manage to accomplish this - as I also seem not to do very often!!

I think the second pose could have been improved if you asked the model to tilt his head a little more to his left - but that's only my opinion.

Keep up the posting and keep clicking... :)

Thanks for the suggestions and I can see the differences in the edits. I totally forgot about trying to blow the background out while shooting. I only really messed with the main and fill lights and what little I knew about light balance I forgot. The setup iirc were at least three lights, 1 was softbox to my right, the other two were umbrella reflectors on the other side.

For the second I wanted more shade to his side as I wanted a moodier feel, I couldn't dial it down enough so I think I should have just unplugged the flash. Can see what you mean about asking the model to tilt his head, there was very little direction from me so I can see I have to work better on my interaction :)

Back