First go at wire wool

Edit My Images
Yes
How badly timed is this? There are about 5 threads with similar ideas...

Anyway.

Firey slinky by Brent Leport, on Flickr

Fun with Fire 3 by Brent Leport, on Flickr

Fun with fire 2 by Brent Leport, on Flickr

Fun with fire 4 by Brent Leport, on Flickr

So what did I learn?
Firstly wearing a scarf so that the sparks don't go down your neck would have been a good idea.
Wearing goggles would also have been a good idea.
Not doing this on a windy night night have helped.

But it's a good laugh with positiive results so whats not to like, these are all 15 sec exposures as that's about as long as the wool lasted and once I had a reasonable exposure I stuck with it.

Not badly timed at all as those are great efforts and as long as you had fun in the process. I like the "spirograph" type effect in the first one, a neat variation on what is a tried and tested theme. The "duo" effect in the last photo works as well.

Last edited:
Nice shots, this is definitely on my to-do list. Tomorrow night might be the night as i will have a house full of drunk friends all eager to help set things alight.

The first one is a cracker! Must have another go myself;)

Thanks! I have more ideas (probably involving setting fire to my own car) and I think I'll be butchering some xmas lights quite soon too. I do love shots where you don't know what you're going to get untill it's done!
This shot was taken because after the spin the wool had some life left in it, so I pressed the button again and had a good jump about!

Fun with fire by Brent Leport, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back