First go with my Nifty Fifty

Name
Anna
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I recently celebrated my 30th birthday and was lucky to get a Nifty Fifty - I've wanted one for ages and I'm not disappointed!

Here is one of my first shots of my baby daughter with my 3 year old son in the background...

AB8EDB81-9320-45C8-A029-D3939B24A508-38635-000006F8211A82A5_zpsea1d5e72.jpg

what a lovely shot- I do however feel they eyes could be a tad sharper to be honest

Les ;)

Ps easy fix in PP

Thanks Les, gosh you're quick! Yes not a perfect shot technically but I was chuffed with it for a first go :)

Anna great first attempt - keep trying, i think the 50mm primes are great lenses.

Thanks Les, gosh you're quick! Yes not a perfect shot technically but I was chuffed with it for a first go :)

I take it you are refering to my PP skills in the PM'd image I sent you = just to clarify :LOL::LOL:

I have a 50mm f1.4 now theres a nice lens

Les :D

Excellent shot,just a little sharpen as stated & you have a great shot to keep,you could crop it more.(y)

The nifty is an excellent lens you will adore it. With such a shallow DOF you will need to get some practice in but when you 'hit it' the image will be a keeper for sure. Great 1st shot, try shooting in monochrome with it. :)

Thanks all, my subject is so used to being photographed that she looks down the lens instantly, it's great!

Thanks again Les, your edit is miles better than my original.

I love this lens Gr8shot, I'm so pleased I've finally got one!

Here are a couple more,

My son (damn blanket always in his mouth!)

4DD6C79B-D1C8-4307-AE42-2B6893398F13-38635-000006F8234240E7_zpsdba32011.jpg

And our cat - flash came on but I didn't think it too bad...

726F1689-E52B-42C5-AA9D-896FC3A1CF7A-38635-000006F821F0D089_zpsf5fe7462.jpg

Once again a tad soft around the eyes- may I suggest you use Manual focus and concentrate on the eyes when focusing -you'll see a great improvement

Les (y)

Ps heres one I shot Last week using my 50mm f1.4 - Manual focus on the closest eye- please ignore the Jungle BG - just a bit of fun playing in PS

Last edited by a moderator:
a teeny weeny bit more exposure for me of the boy
and maybe move to f4 to help with the DOF, shooting so close, you'll still blow the BG

Brill will try both those suggestions thanks guys, I thought William (boy) looked a bit dark. Not as pleased with the cat one but lots to learn!

Anna have you tried using a DOF calculator?
link
it will help you work out at what aperture you really need to be shooting at dependant on your intent of course
At 3ft distance your dof at f1.4 is 0.06 ft

You can also download an iPhone app from iTunes also called DOF Master

I have it for when im shoot with my 10-20mm, works a treat

Les (y)

Back