B&W First go with Raynox

Nice shot! jumped on here as it's so much easier to see rather on my phone! I'd be tempted to push the contrast just a smidgen but other than that it works as a close up / abstract type of shot.

Hmmm tips? I'm no expert but from my dabble in Macro, think about what you want in focus and if you want "it all" then make sure that it's on your plane of focus! If not, learn about focus stacking (aaagh! something else! Sorry]

A

Nice shot! jumped on here as it's so much easier to see rather on my phone! I'd be tempted to push the contrast just a smidgen but other than that it works as a close up / abstract type of shot.

Hmmm tips? I'm no expert but from my dabble in Macro, think about what you want in focus and if you want "it all" then make sure that it's on your plane of focus! If not, learn about focus stacking (aaagh! something else! Sorry]

A

Focus Stacking - more kit needed no doubt!!

Agree the contrast could be pushed more!

Might try it on a "normal lens" rather than the 105 macro too!

Think we might be able to assist if you share your settings. Though I'm immensely glad you know its Hard.

It is a really nice classic macro shot.

Think we might be able to assist if you share your settings. Though I'm immensely glad you know its Hard.

It is a really nice classic macro shot.

Hi!

I was surprised at how paper thin DOF was using the 105 macro and raynox - I had to use live view which I haven't previously with macro attempts!

This was at f22 ISO 100 and 1sec.

I suppose light was a big issue as the batteries had gone for my two sb900's!

Hi!

I was surprised at how paper thin DOF was using the 105 macro and raynox - I had to use live view which I haven't previously with macro attempts!

This was at f22 ISO 100 and 1sec.

I suppose light was a big issue as the batteries had gone for my two sb900's!

DOF is a major issue... think the higher the magnification then the lower the dof think f11 at 1:1 is equivalent to f4/5.6 for normal shooting. So thats something to bear in mind and if you shot this at closest focus on the macro lens 1:1 and had the raynox on it you are at >1:1 magnification.

My go to settings for my raynox is f18, ISO 200 and speed 1/200s as I don't use a tripod. These are go to settings though so I do venture >f18.

I use ISO 200 to get the most out of the flash as possible, I read somewhere that ISO 400 is the best setting for flash usage but can't find the link to the reason why. But ISO 400 on my camera starts to produce noise unless light is perfect. Not sure why you burnt your batteries like that though... seems a little excessive.

Think you have started brilliantly though and I'm impressed that you used a high f stop on first attempt most go to f11 at first.

DOF is a major issue... think the higher the magnification then the lower the dof think f11 at 1:1 is equivalent to f4/5.6 for normal shooting. So thats something to bear in mind and if you shot this at closest focus on the macro lens 1:1 and had the raynox on it you are at >1:1 magnification.

My go to settings for my raynox is f18, ISO 200 and speed 1/200s as I don't use a tripod. These are go to settings though so I do venture >f18.

I use ISO 200 to get the most out of the flash as possible, I read somewhere that ISO 400 is the best setting for flash usage but can't find the link to the reason why. But ISO 400 on my camera starts to produce noise unless light is perfect. Not sure why you burnt your batteries like that though... seems a little excessive.

Think you have started brilliantly though and I'm impressed that you used a high f stop on first attempt most go to f11 at first.

Thank you!! Appreciate the detailed response.

The batteries were dead from a previous time! Came home and there was a raynox box waiting and a dandelion by the fence! Couldn't find the spare batteries (I suspect the kids used them) but had the tripod! Hence the long ss!

Bugs are going to be tricky I think!!

S

To start with bugs are very tricky... you have got a good start as you seem (from portraiture) to have a good understanding of light so don't think that side will be much of an issue to you.

But we all start out rubbish and get better some quicker than others... @Carlh and @hoftwi both cracked in a couple of months.

We are a helpful bunch in this section so just ask if you need it. :D

same here @Tintin124 , ISO200, maybe 400 if im in a wooded area and theres absolutely no light, to get the batteries running a bit longer - great first attempt with the raynox shaheed and am sure you will get some very nice photos (of bugs!!) up soon :)

same here @Tintin124 , ISO200, maybe 400 if im in a wooded area and theres absolutely no light, to get the batteries running a bit longer - great first attempt with the raynox shaheed and am sure you will get some very nice photos (of bugs!!) up soon :)

Cheers Carl

Thanks for answering the questions about the raynox!

I'll keep an eye out in the garden over the next week when I get some time!
Might try some flower shots too.

Do you think the wife will be suspicious if she suddenly gets a nice bunch of flowers!!

Cheers Carl

Thanks for answering the questions about the raynox!

I'll keep an eye out in the garden over the next week when I get some time!
Might try some flower shots too.

Do you think the wife will be suspicious if she suddenly gets a nice bunch of flowers!!
you'll have to upset her first otherwise she will get a bit suspect hahaha. You could always try photographing her eye close up, then when she's blinded, get the flowers, photograph them as well, jobs a good'un (y)

Ok. So had a go with some bugs today....I think I should try it with a non macro lens as I was really struggling with DOF and focussing. I'll get some up on the computer later!

S

Back