First Hares of the year

Nice sharp detailed images , well done

Allen thanks for the comment ,but these were uploaded from the PC instead of flickr , and to my eye they have lost a lot of detail. Lesson learned !!!!

John could I ask you to pop them up again via flicky like you normally do..... I'm a pain please forgive.

John lovely engaging POV you are atop a hill or something,it gives a killer bkg doesn't it just lovely.

Frame 2 floats my boat ,the first is lovely,but the raised front foot, ears expression....... it's a hare working out what the hell you are is priceless....... I just love it.

would you pop your techs up please john,light was low I guess ,not sure but maybe pull blues back first two,try it see what you see. 3rd slight pinky tinge?? Difficult writing all this when you aren't happy already with what you are seeing,but worth throwing out there !!

I'm jealous as hell mate:D,just about to see ours after the winter lay off can't wait TFS lovey to see

take care

stu

John, some great shots here, superb low positioning, interesting poses and nice backgrounds. Light was clearly against you, so definitely a place to go back to once the sun comes out. Or the way it is right now IF it ever comes out!

I've not seen your stuff before so don't know if you're interested in PP work or not, but there is a lot more to come from these files if you want. I played with the first, but only from the jpeg its a little difficult - it would be much better with the RAW file.

Only a couple of minutes, so a little rough and ready, but I warmed the WB up a little, and de-saturated the blues which helped with the eye. I dodged the face to make it a bit brighter, then sharpened the hare and ran some noise reduction on the background. Subtle, and not best working from the jpeg, but hopefully it shows there is some improvement to be had should you care to spend a little more time at the computer.

8M6A7107-copy-RP.jpg

Mike

NIce set, I love watching Hares, fascinating animals. You must have been well down in the dirt to get the POV you got but worth it, keep them coming

Paul

Had a play with the first one!!! .Stuart, hi mate they were both shot at 600mm on a crop body so 930mm f 6.3 iso 800 and a big crop as i have not got your fieldcraft skills yet !!! Plus not the right clothing to go belly down and sneak up on them. And as for critique, i love it as you never stop learning.
Thanks Mike for your suggestions but i wasn't expecting much from these as hopefully i will get another opportunity and be able to spend more time getting in close.
derbydude must admit i was surprised to see them ,plus when first spotted they were having the boxing match .
Paul thanks for your comments,yep defiantly like to see these critters .
Oh shutter speed 1/400 for 1 / 1/360 for 2. Yes i know i should have been shooting a lot faster but i was all excited at seeing my first bunnies.

European or Brown Hare by John, on Flickr

Brown hare (Lepus europaeus) by John, on Flickr

Last edited:
John you'll get there,you really will on the FC these are great mate you are well on your way We do need the gear ( good clothes) though especially with cold ground,ha it can be brutal.

Low and slow is the best advice I could share. Massive emphasis on slow,think this way John...if I scare them I have everything to loose if one can bare the physicality(not every one can buddy that's not meant in a hash way) and are there long enough,the chances are they will do the last bit and come to you. At that point John for an image maker everything changes things are so relaxed. The longer that status quo is kept the better it gets. It all sounds a bit naff trying to describe this,when it happens you'll understand what I'm trying to say mate

Thanks for the techs and the repost very kind of you. The yanks call your excitement buck fever John I get frazzeled by it,leastways for a while:D,normal folks grow out of it. Some of us don't:rolleyes: Frankly although it's not good, as the excitement doesn't breed the steady hand we need,for a sharp frame,plus techs hmmm, one IS meant to be thinking,I'd rather keep this side of me. It's what get us to that hare there has to be a bit of madness in all this.:)

I really like that last frame above ^^^^ John the new one is nice ,it does look better to me via flickr.

Grats on the pickup from Amateur tog,that's a fab thing mate, good for you(y) !! told ya it was nice:LOL:

stu

Cheers Stu for the advice ,had another go this morning and slow is still my nemesis at least i get lots of shots of there rear ends .Did get a keeper ;)

Tis painfully slow ,John ,that's the mindset : a little wood I used to frequent could be walked leisurely in 20 mins,,in stealth mode that becomes half a day or more. it's kinda like you are part of the wood?? I'm no one to advise you John, just trying to give a bit back:).

Moving this slow is something we have lost it's almost zen mindset malarky ( the sort of thing I'd roll me eyes :LOL:) . there is nothing but you and subject subject dictates one's every move, one's breath. Reading subject sublimely important. It's good trying to put it into words if I'm honest,

It's hard to be so slow, to not rush it's another of my failings. All but every time I take responsibility for a stalk going south ,it's down to moving too fast,they do just run off because of other things than us John.

Ha ha:) you'll be sharing that keeper then:cool:

Back