Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Just arrived and stuck it on camera to check it at least works

3252654367_f6b4dd288d_o.jpg

3252664251_ff203f9e44_o.jpg

think I'm going to like this one a lot

I was gonna buy the 50mm F1.8 that was advertised in the last day or so, but I think I would regret not hanging on and waiting until I could afford this.

Hopefully I won`t be waiting too long.

I really like mine, I just shoot mine wide open.

I accidentally stopped it down to f/1.6 once, but apart from that, mine is wide open all the time!

I accidentally stopped it down to f/1.6 once, but apart from that, mine is wide open all the time!

Yep f/1.4 all the way! The first shot of the dog does look a little oof though, the eyes should be sharp, it really is sharp wide open.

I'm glad you pointed me in the direction of this.:D

OK they are just quick shots at home but the narrow dof and the bokeh are quite magnificent.

The bokeh is what stands it apart from the Nikkor AF-G. That, and the AF speed I guess.

Yep f/1.4 all the way! The first shot of the dog does look a little oof though, the eyes should be sharp, it really is sharp wide open.

Yup he wouldn't staystill with the camera in his face. shot was wide ope with focus point supposedly on the eye but these live dogs do tend to move.

Yes, as you say they do move. In fact I think it's a case of motion blur rather than focal point at 1/13"
I can see you having much fun with this lens, congrats :clap:

Yup he wouldn't staystill with the camera in his face. shot was wide ope with focus point supposedly on the eye but these live dogs do tend to move.

Aw c'mon Mark, get with the program, its f/1.8, not wide open, and a blurry 13th, and a dodgy w/b.
Admit it, yer just too damn giddy to shoot properly...

:LOL:

Whats different between this and the new Nikkor one? would really like to replace my Nikkor 50/1.8 manual lens so I am interested to hear the differences. :)

Aw c'mon Mark, get with the program, its f/1.8, not wide open, and a blurry 13th, and a dodgy w/b.
Admit it, yer just too damn giddy to shoot properly...

:LOL:

good point I took several at differing f stops. i meant to put up the 1.4 but posted the 1.8 instead:LOL:

Must be the last day of my 48th year catching up with me:(

Whats different between this and the new Nikkor one? would really like to replace my Nikkor 50/1.8 manual lens so I am interested to hear the differences. :)

The sigma one is available, for the Nikkor join the significant back order list.

Interesting, there is quite a price difference between the two though. How you getting on with the size of it?

Interesting, there is quite a price difference between the two though. How you getting on with the size of it?

Its not that big:

3121945739_136dbf484b_o.jpg

certainly if you are using semi-pro bodies or bigger (D200+) then this will be one of the smaller lenses you'll be using.

On a D90 and below, the Nikkor might be a better choice due to its lower profile.

Again, while its large for a 50mm, its not bigger really than most variable aperture kit lenses just to put it in context.

Prices from Cameraworld... 40 quid difference

Sigma 50mm 1.4 EX DG HSM 319 UKP

Nikon 50mm 1.4G AF-S 279 UKP

Size wise, I guess it is about the size of my Sigma 10-20 (77mm?) but comparing that to my 50mm (52mm) at present it is huge.

Looking at dpreview, they have it at twice the weight of the Nikon (505g vrs 230g [for the 1.4D]). Hence why I asked about the size. I guess with a bigger camera the size / weight is a drop in the ocean relative to the body.

I would be interested in the Sigma one as if it is the same filter size as my 10-20, then I could reuse filters, but do they perform the same Andy?

Slightly OT - just checked RGB-Tech....

A couple of days ago the 50mm f/1.4 was £309.99 with free delivery. Today it is £549.99. :puke:

The 30mm has gone from £265 to £375. :eek:

Good lord. :crying:

I would be interested in the Sigma one as if it is the same filter size as my 10-20, then I could reuse filters, but do they perform the same Andy?

The 50mm is a bit bigger than the 10-20 I would say but close - no more than a crisp packet in it, weight wise,

Personally I prefer the performance off the Sigma over any of the Nikkor 50mm's, so the price difference is easy to swallow.

Value for money wise, the 50mm f/1.8 is hard to beat compared to either - you pay a lot for the extra 2/3rd stop and AF-S / HSM.

Got mine for £314.99 at Warehouse Express
Nikon is £258.99 but on long back order.

I've been reading lots of good things about this Sigma, here and at DWF, so am going to try it and have ordered one. If it's better than the Nikkor AF-S it'll stay.

Slightly OT - just checked RGB-Tech....

A couple of days ago the 50mm f/1.4 was £309.99 with free delivery. Today it is £549.99. :puke:

The 30mm has gone from £265 to £375. :eek:

Good lord. :crying:

It was £299 just after christmas and i can understand a small increase but £250! **** me. :bang::bang:

It was £299 just after christmas and i can understand a small increase but £250! **** me. :bang::bang:

Sigma increased prices about 40% on Feb 1st.

I like the lens, around £300 feels about right.

Much over £300 for a 50mm is a bit optimistic.

Another quick size comparison:

DSC_3144-web.jpg

Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 AI-S

So IMHO the Sigma although big for a 50mm isn't bit at all in comparison to many zooms.

For anyone interested in this it's given a lengthy review in this week's BJP.

They rate it very highly and comment on it being the first 50mm that's as good at f1.4 as f5.6.

The lens arrived this morning and just popped out with it and the Nikkor 50mm.

I've got a lemon.

It's absolutely horrific at f1.4 - shooting text on a box it's a blur and the same shot with the Nikkor is clear as a bell. Dialling in +20 and you still can't make out the words, even at f1.8 so the calibration is clearly massively off. It also has green outlines to each line of text.

wtf

The lens arrived this morning and just popped out with it and the Nikkor 50mm.

I've got a lemon.

It's absolutely horrific at f1.4 - shooting text on a box it's a blur and the same shot with the Nikkor is clear as a bell. Dialling in +20 and you still can't make out the words, even at f1.8 so the calibration is clearly massively off. It also has green outlines to each line of text.

wtf

That's a real shame Guy. :( Where did you get it from? Are you going to get an exchange or not bother?

FWIW mine was delivered today from Warehouse Express and it's absolutely spot-on in all aspects - must be luck of the draw I guess. :shrug:

It went back yesterday. I've just gone for the refund and will hang on to the Nikkor. The cost to change would be about £120 or so and it's just not worth that for me.

Back