first insect macro attempts

stan the man

Nutkicker
Name
mark
Edit My Images
Yes
after getting my kenko extension tubes yesterday,i thought i'd better try them out..so out in the garden i went and shot these little critters.i can't identify any of them as i know nothing about insects apart from ants etc etc...

the red beetles(?)are munching their way through my wifes lillies,so she's well impressed(not),and it looks like they're mating..possibly..

the spider eating the fly is about 1.5mm in size

i would love some good ol' honest C+C on these please...

1/
DSC03431_filtered-1.jpg

2/
DSC03427_filtered.jpg

3/
DSC03421_filtered.jpg

4/
DSC03443_filtered.jpg

I'm not qualified to comment on quaility or technical aspects, but i really like #3, the contrast between red,green and black is striking. Plus he's getting lucky, good on him....

Nice set Stan, the first one is a drainfly and the red beetle is a lily beetle. :)

I hope you don't mind me being honest here, but they lack something that a true macro would have got, (and i understad that it's not directly a true macro lens competitor) clarity, sharpness and more contrast, they look like something i'd expect form a macro function on a point and shoot, i know you were using extension tubes, and if these are the results you are getting from them, i'd be pretty dissapointed in them, i only say this because i get much better results from a reversed 35-80 lens on my 30D which costs around £25 from ebay or somewhere. The best of those are nos 2+3, but you have the focus in the wrong place, focus on the eye and they would have been much better.
That is just my opinion anyway and may not be the opinion of everyone else. Keep practicing anyway, it's addictive going bug hunting :D

thanks guys..all comments appreciated.

wez...honesty is what i want,otherwise how am i gonna improve my technique.the extension tubes were paired with the sigma 105 macro lens,so i assume they should have been much better.perhaps i'm doing something very wrong if these are poor results.i understand you should focus on the head/eye,and as for sharpness...they were taken on a tripod,with mirror lock-up/2 sec timer..should that be okay?do you think my DoF is okay?

Hi Mark, I think the ones of the red beetles are best. The way you have captured the shine on them is great. Nice use of DOF too. Not so keen on the spiders but if you are like me then I bet your hands were shaking.:exit:

Stan,

Beetles aside, the others have got something wrong with the execution....you have the right setup so it must be getting lost in the method. There's no EXIF data to go on so it's difficult to figure out where the plot was lost. Is there any chance you could post the EXIF for the moth and one of the Lily Beetles?

Bob

Stan,

Beetles aside, the others have got something wrong with the execution....you have the right setup so it must be getting lost in the method. There's no EXIF data to go on so it's difficult to figure out where the plot was lost. Is there any chance you could post the EXIF for the moth and one of the Lily Beetles?

Bob

hi bob...how do i post the EXIF data,as my image browser won't let be copy and paste it :bonk:.there must be an easier way than writing/typing it all down :shrug:

Great stuff, If honesty is what your after then here is an honest reply from me!

IMO - I think your composition and eye for macro is just fine, the above shots really reflect on this but your being let down by the equipment or the knowledge of using it correctly, what were you using, lens camera etc? Also, copy and paste the exif or simply post the details.

Let us know and help will be on the way!

All the best

Stan,

I use Opanda EXIF.....download here http://www.tucows.com/preview/387040

Bob

thanks bob.i have downloaded opanda exif,but how do i copy and paste onto here...i'm a numpty when it comes to puters :bonk:

tomas...i was using a sony alpha100 DSLR with sigma 105 F2.8 macro lens with kenko tubes (full set).

i will put the EXIF details on here once i know how (y)

Nice first attempt those sewer flies are weird looking suckers close up (y)
When processing the image the EXIF DATA is already there when "saving for web" it strips out the EXIF Try just "save as" thats should leave it in place.
Open Opanda and drag the picuture into the square that should then read yours.
You can read others ( on the web, here for Example) and others can read yours by right clicking and choosing from the drop down menu. (assuming its not been stripped out as above)

cobra...what i need to know is how to paste the EXIF details on opanda,to here...:shrug:

anybody :help:

As above in my previous post, Open Opanda and drag the picuture into the square that should then read yours.
its there to be read by anyone with opanda (for example) unless you strip it out by saving for web (y)
None of yours have it embedded so its been "stripped" by processing.

Last edited:
In the name of constructive criticism...

Firstly, the composition of #1 isn't something you should get into the habit of using. A good rule of thumb for insect photography (and many other types of macro shots, for that matter) is to shoot them side-on, and not from straight overhead.

Secondly, it looks like you've shot these in fairly bad light, which can make an otherwise decent shot appear dull and flat. There isn't much you can do about that though apart from wait out the clouds ;)

Also, the money spider shot lacks any real 'spark' if you know what I mean. Nothing really stands out. My advice - avoid that type of setting. Stick to shooting insects in a natural environment, otherwise you'll end up with something that can only be considered as a somewhat advanced snap-shot.

The rest - sharpness, contrast etc. - is something that you'll probably get better at through practice. Learn how to fully take advantage of your gear, and you should be okay.

Hope at least some of that helps. I don't want to sound harsh or anything, just honest :)

cobra...what i need to know is how to paste the EXIF details on opanda,to here...:shrug:

anybody :help:

Hi Mark, I'm sure you should be able to do it in KUSO exif viewer. You need your original file, resized and saved (but not using save for web) like Cobra said. Run Kuso exif viewer and open your picture file. Right click your mouse over the information which appears and from the fly out menu choose "copy all contents". Go to the forum thread and then to paste exif information just right click your cursor in your thread, and from the fly out menu choose "paste" Hope this helps.

Hi Mark, I'm sure you should be able to do it in KUSO exif viewer. You need your original file, resized and saved (but not using save for web) like Cobra said. Run Kuso exif viewer and open your picture file. Right click your mouse over the information which appears and from the fly out menu choose "copy all contents". Go to the forum thread and then to paste exif information just right click your cursor in your thread, and from the fly out menu choose "paste" Hope this helps.

thanks barbara...i'm not so clever at this computer stuff,and it all sounds a handfull.i will get my mate to come and hopefully sort it out for me :bonk:

i paid them another visit tonight and took some more shots.this is the best of them i would say...used F2.8 for the beetle one.

DSC03454_filtered.jpg

also shot these..just as a test...

DSC03476_filtered.jpg

DSC03482_filtered.jpg

any better folks :shrug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillwalkinggirl

thanks barbara...i'm not so clever at this computer stuff,and it all sounds a handfull.i will get my mate to come and hopefully sort it out for me

i paid them another visit tonight and took some more shots.this is the best of them i would say...used F2.8 for the beetle one.

Hi Mark, Keep trying with the computer thing and you will soon get the hang of it. It's not as difficult as it sounds.

Regarding the photos:
Ajophotog - the expert on this subject- advised me to use manual mode set at f11, speed 1/200, and flash when taking close up photos,and use the camera hand held rather than on a tripod. I have found that this seems to work well, when taking pictures outside. I do find however that when taking pictures indoors of objects that don't move, I am better off using the tripod and long exposure as I find it difficult to hold the camera steady enough, and indoors with the close up lens I get nasty shadows of the lens when using flash.

Picture 1 works well with the aperture you have chosen as the backround is well blurred out, however if the insect had been moving you would have had a problem.

No 2 would definitely have been better with a smaller aperture as I find it difficult to decide what you are focusing on, and what I think is an handle looks very distracting being at the forefront and blurred so much.

No 3, works well, although not a pretty subject you have captured it well.

Hi Mark, Keep trying with the computer thing and you will soon get the hang of it. It's not as difficult as it sounds.

Regarding the photos:
Ajophotog - the expert on this subject- advised me to use manual mode set at f11, speed 1/200, and flash when taking close up photos,and use the camera hand held rather than on a tripod. I have found that this seems to work well, when taking pictures outside. I do find however that when taking pictures indoors of objects that don't move, I am better off using the tripod and long exposure as I find it difficult to hold the camera steady enough, and indoors with the close up lens I get nasty shadows of the lens when using flash.

Picture 1 works well with the aperture you have chosen as the backround is well blurred out, however if the insect had been moving you would have had a problem.

No 2 would definitely have been better with a smaller aperture as I find it difficult to decide what you are focusing on, and what I think is an handle looks very distracting being at the forefront and blurred so much.

No 3, works well, although not a pretty subject you have captured it well.

thanks barbara...i'm sure i'll get the hang of it eventually.when you mention a flash,do you mean the inboard one or the hotshoe mounted type?

i'll have to practice my hand held macro shots though,as most i have tried haven't faired too well.

here's a shot i took yesterday in my neighbours garden..on the tripod.

DSC03496_filtered-1.jpg

Hi Mark, I find the flash works OK indoors as long as I use the off camera flash on a sync cord about 1ft away and bounce towards the ceiling. The onboard flash gives nasty shadows of the lens. I find it really hard to do hand held shots as my hands just don't seem to hold the camera steady enough.

:clap:That's a really lovely shot you took yesterday. I like the way that you have taken the flowers from the side, the colours are great, and you have really got the depth of field right.

Back