First IR shots from DIY converted D60

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey.
So I had this Suntech IR filter (Hoya 72 equivalent I think)...which I cut up into a square with a glass cutter, put the screwdrivers to the test on the body (and even a drill...damn screws). And whala! These are straight out of the camera after setting white balance. It wasn't too difficult modifying it even though some wires had to soldered.

5047885415_e223a1971f_z.jpg

5047883703_3533bdf246_z.jpg

5048512414_88b1cfa067_z.jpg

5047894467_40b081548e_z.jpg

5048513608_c89c7801bc_z.jpg

Now I need to figure out a little photoshop to help 'pop' the shots.
Here's the link to the IR set on flickr for those interested in camera settings etc etc.

Good set for your first IR images, I think you will need to push the contrast and levels a bit in Photoshop. You could also try swapping the red and blue channels.

Almost forgot these photos ;)

5047993977_06f931b5f9_z.jpg

Here's the original anti-IR filter in the camera. I did have to sacrifice the electronic lens cleaning to put the new filter in. I assume I can always reverse the process.

Can you tell what my day job is (or hopefully one day will be)? lol
5048610448_8bc6367a34_z.jpg

You are a braver man than me, going inside your camera.

Don't get me wrong, it took some self convincing...especially when I realized I stripped some screwhead notches and had to get a drill. I figured the best way to reattach the PCB board was to solder the corner(s). :)

note to self , avoid any D60 for sale threads by markk !!!

you're a brave man

good effort though

:clap:

i have an old nikon d40 i dont ues, i also have a hoya IR filter, i would love to do this, is it hard to do?
or should i get a pro to do this?
thanks for any advice.

i have an old nikon d40 i dont ues, i also have a hoya IR filter, i would love to do this, is it hard to do?
or should i get a pro to do this?
thanks for any advice.

It's quite easy. About an hour's work if you're taking it easy. You will basically need the following:

Soldering Iron (one wire needs to be soldered off and back on and the sensor cleaning mechanism should be soldered off)
A very tiny strip of electrical tape
A glass cutter
A Philip's 00 screwdriver (and a 000)
80 or 100 grade sandpaper (I used 100)
Fine tweezers will help in holding stuff
Ruler (I used measuring calipers to get as precise as possible, but not necessarily needed)

Additional

Most difficult part:cutting the filter to size without breaking/scratching it. But even this is rather easy. Some practice on normal glass will help.

Most time consuming: Putting in ribbon connectors in their slots. Very annoying.

Most frustrating: Stripping the screws on the PCB board. I used a small drill to drill out the screws, and substituted one screw from the exterior case for the inside and soldered one of the corners to the mounting bracket. Top right screw in one of the pics.

Most awesome: turning the thing back on, setting white balance, and getting white leaves. Pure awesome ;)

I would highly recommend doing this yourself as sending it in, at least the D40/D60 family is really too easy of a job. If you have any more questions, shoot a pm and I'd be happy to help.

It'd be good to see some more from that and some more pictures from you doing it....
Tip from the mechanically minded.... get proper screwdrivers :)

It'd be good to see some more from that and some more pictures from you doing it....
Tip from the mechanically minded.... get proper screwdrivers :)

I didn't take any other pictures than the ones I posted (of the process). One: I completely forgot. 2:There are a few places online where pictures are already posted.

I thought I did have the correct screwdrivers, but ultimately they were probably poor quality. So I went out and bought new ones, more expensive one. It didn't help too much. I'm thinking some screws must have been glued or something because it was really hard getting them out.

Last edited:
Back