First it was roots, now it's cress

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
So following on from the 'Root of all Evil' post, took out the Lumie LED for a bit more of a play today with some cress... I like taking pictures of food... it doesn't blink and it doesn't pout and scream. I could get used to this.

I must say though, I struggled with getting things pin sharp with a couple of the 'macro' shots of the seeds... looks like a bit of motion blur when you zoom right in. Camera on a tripod and I was using a remote shutter release... shake from the mirror you think? You macro people perhaps can offer suggestion? @mattd85 ? Shot with 100mm macro with extension tube (13mm & 21mm)

(maybe this post should be in Macro...)

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Watercress by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Cress by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

THIS is the one I really struggled with getting sharp...

Watercress by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Cress roots by Beth Botterill, on Flickr

Shutter speed looks quite low, I know you were on a tripod etc but maybe up the ISO and then shutter to around 1/100 to suit the focal length.

The thing is with macro using flash helps freeze subjects massively, try some off camera flash diffused maybe?

Shutter speed looks quite low, I know you were on a tripod etc but maybe up the ISO and then shutter to around 1/100 to suit the focal length.

The thing is with macro using flash helps freeze subjects massively, try some off camera flash diffused maybe?
Aye, it was quite low... thought I could get away with it. Rookie mistake. :)

Nice shots. Especially the close ups with the remainder of the seeds stuck to the leaves.

I love cress. Currently got my camera running taking a timelapse of them growing on some tissue. I've had it running for two days now taking pictures every 20minutes.

Nice shots. Especially the close ups with the remainder of the seeds stuck to the leaves.

I love cress. Currently got my camera running taking a timelapse of them growing on some tissue. I've had it running for two days now taking pictures every 20minutes.
Awesome! Please make sure you share it! I'd love to see it!

Love the concept. Something I would never in a million years have though of shooting. Great practice subject for macro.

Excellent capture by the way.

should we be prepared for a shot of some parsnips next with the title "Going Back to my Roots" ?? :LOL:

As always, Great ideas for the shooting, and they look well executed to me...

"Mirror slap" is certainly a possibility... I generally use mirror lock up on macro stuff, but that's because I started doing my Macro stuff on Medium Format cameras, and the mirror slap on some of the 67's I had was probably the cause of the foundation problems I had in my then studio...

should we be prepared for a shot of some parsnips next with the title "Going Back to my Roots" ?? :LOL:

Ha! Fab idea, Oh great Yin! I think I may just work my way down the veggie aisle at Morrisons... ;)

And yea... the mirror thing... must look into that. I think that also played a part as when the shutter went, I could actually see my camera move a tad. So that, with going higher on the iso so bring the shutter speed up, might crack it. Now to google how to lock my mirror up...

Last edited:
Awesome! Please make sure you share it! I'd love to see it!

Will do. I have to do it again though, so it will be next week some point by the time the next one is finished. I was hospitalized yesterday so I didn't get to change the batteries in the camera and it went flat half way through.

Will do. I have to do it again though, so it will be next week some point by the time the next one is finished. I was hospitalized yesterday so I didn't get to change the batteries in the camera and it went flat half way through.
Sorry to hear that. Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

Back